Old 10-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
MamaMer
1st Leg of the Journey

All the above advice is great, I will just add that if you have a good LYS, take as many classes and workshops as you can! (time and pocketbook allowing of course) Learning from a real life person helps a TON, and I got to know all the LYS ladies, and I adore every single one of them, they are always so helpful, even when I run into trouble and there isn't a workshop going on. I am a big advocate of shopping at local shops of any kind, but really of this nature, so we don't lose just the great yarn, but the awesome knitting wisdom that resides there!

Also check to see if there is a local knitting "club" or group that gets together once a week or so. My LYS has one Tuesday nights (and THANK GOODNESS for my Tuesday nights) , but I am sure there are some places to search online for local groups. A lot of the time they meet at the library too. I have found Knitters to be very warm and welcoming, esp to newbies!
MamaMer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaMer For This Useful Post:
cindygster (10-16-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
Ginnyb
Knitting the Flap

Yes, it is best just to jump in! I did nothing but scarves and washcloths for about a year, then my DIL asked if I would knit something to bring home their new baby in from the hospital, so I tackled a baby sweater and hat and it came out great! Now I am knitting myself a sweater...

Ginny
Ginnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #13
ladyjessica
Knitting the Flap

I agree with everyone else. Just do as much as you can to get the experience, and everybody is here to help you if you need it. I took classes, but I also got myself some good reference books for the 1 am knitting sessions when there was nobody around to ask. I like Knitting for Dummies and Stitch n' Bitch, and I still use them to look things up. Just keep going and don't give up. You can do it!

OTN: Log Cabin Afghan, Aran Blanket Baby Afghan, Manos del Uruguay afghan;
Future WIP: A sock. Any sock.

My blog: Mincing Around the Dance Floor
ladyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Cindy, I was like you! I could not figure out anything. Then one day as I was knitting, it just all made sense. You just have to jump in and try it! Don't try something too hard at first, or too large. Keep knitting small things until you are comfortable with knitting. Then once you have done that, more "difficult" stitches will be a piece of cake for you!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
cindygster
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by MamaMer View Post
All the above advice is great, I will just add that if you have a good LYS, take as many classes and workshops as you can! (time and pocketbook allowing of course) Learning from a real life person helps a TON, and I got to know all the LYS ladies, and I adore every single one of them, they are always so helpful, even when I run into trouble and there isn't a workshop going on. I am a big advocate of shopping at local shops of any kind, but really of this nature, so we don't lose just the great yarn, but the awesome knitting wisdom that resides there!

Also check to see if there is a local knitting "club" or group that gets together once a week or so. My LYS has one Tuesday nights (and THANK GOODNESS for my Tuesday nights) , but I am sure there are some places to search online for local groups. A lot of the time they meet at the library too. I have found Knitters to be very warm and welcoming, esp to newbies!
Thanks! I'd considered a class at Joanne's but I really didn't know where I fell as far as experience goes (am I a beginner? Intermediate? Etc...). And I didn't want to spend the forty bucks on the class and wind up listening to a bunch of stuff I already know. I think I'm going to find a different avenue than Joann's 'cause any time I've gone in there, if I have questions I'm pretty much up the proverbial creek without a paddle. NO ONE there knows how to knit!! It's a wonder they even offer classes!
cindygster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #16
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I've been knitting for over 40 years and so I can't really tell you the order in which I learned things! Although I do remember the very first project, a disaster of a scarf. But after the first square/rectangle, that is, scarf or blanket, I would definitely try small projects, as other people here have suggested. When you're learning something new, I think it helps to not have 4 feet of it looming in front of you. I would go in this order:
A hat (this is a great one-- http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/...+Covered+1.htm )
Mittens
Socks.
You'll have had the experience of following patterns, knitting in the round, turning heels, adding thumb gussets, and then you'll be ready to try something bigger, such as a sweater. The other thing you might want to try, is to learn cables and other more fancy stitches on a scarf before trying them in items which require more involved construction.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
cindygster (10-16-2007)
Old 10-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
MellieThePooh
1st Leg of the Journey

I keep hearing people say that if you can knit, purl, increase and decrease, then you can do anything. I keep on believing them and it keeps getting funner! My second project was a sock, which I made with help from "I can't believe I'm knitting socks!" It taught me so many things that I'm using in other projects, like short rows, ribbing, knitting in the round, etc. I also agree that the only thing you have to lose is time if you have to frog, and since it's a hobby that's not a very big deal is it? Be brave!

MellieThePooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MellieThePooh For This Useful Post:
cindygster (10-16-2007)
Old 10-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #18
cranberry
Ribbing the Cuff

The advice people have given you so far is great. Do try to find a real yarn store for classes, even if it's a drive. The classes are much better, and not to mention a fraction of the price compared to Joann's. Definiately see if there are any local groups. Try here or on knittyboard.com

I would reccomend one of those quick knit books, like "One Skein", "Last Minute Knitted Gifts", "One Skein Wonders", "Weekend Knitting", etc. Go to the bookstore and page through them all and look at the patterns. That's how I started. You can accomplish a lot quickly and learn new things, and it doesn't require a lot of time or yarn. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. Most knitters love to help!
cindygster (10-16-2007)
Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #19
PurlyGyrl
Working the Gusset

You can do it! Its kinda like learning a foreign language-new things will pop up all the time that you may not understand it, but there's lots of resources (and all of us here, too) that can help you figure it out! So I say, jump on in with us!

I'm PurlyGyrl on Ravelry, too!
I just don't know how to do that button thing
My favorite blue eyed guy
PurlyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #20
cindygster
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by brittyknits View Post
I've been knitting for over 40 years and so I can't really tell you the order in which I learned things! Although I do remember the very first project, a disaster of a scarf. But after the first square/rectangle, that is, scarf or blanket, I would definitely try small projects, as other people here have suggested. When you're learning something new, I think it helps to not have 4 feet of it looming in front of you. I would go in this order:
A hat (this is a great one-- http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/...+Covered+1.htm )
Mittens
Socks.
You'll have had the experience of following patterns, knitting in the round, turning heels, adding thumb gussets, and then you'll be ready to try something bigger, such as a sweater. The other thing you might want to try, is to learn cables and other more fancy stitches on a scarf before trying them in items which require more involved construction.
Thank you! That's very helpful advice... :D
cindygster is offline   Reply With Quote