Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #21
MellieThePooh
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
The advice people have given you so far is great. Do try to find a real yarn store for classes, even if it's a drive. The classes are much better, and not to mention a fraction of the price compared to Joann's. Definiately see if there are any local groups. Try here or on knittyboard.com

I would reccomend one of those quick knit books, like "One Skein", "Last Minute Knitted Gifts", "One Skein Wonders", "Weekend Knitting", etc. Go to the bookstore and page through them all and look at the patterns. That's how I started. You can accomplish a lot quickly and learn new things, and it doesn't require a lot of time or yarn. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. Most knitters love to help!
I think that knitters are the least competitive, most helpful group of people I know.
MellieThePooh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #22
cindygster
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by MellieThePooh View Post
I keep hearing people say that if you can knit, purl, increase and decrease, then you can do anything. I keep on believing them and it keeps getting funner! My second project was a sock, which I made with help from "I can't believe I'm knitting socks!" It taught me so many things that I'm using in other projects, like short rows, ribbing, knitting in the round, etc. I also agree that the only thing you have to lose is time if you have to frog, and since it's a hobby that's not a very big deal is it? Be brave!

Thanks!!! Is that "I can't believe I'm knitting socks!" a book or software or something?
cindygster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #23
cindygster
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
The advice people have given you so far is great. Do try to find a real yarn store for classes, even if it's a drive. The classes are much better, and not to mention a fraction of the price compared to Joann's. Definiately see if there are any local groups. Try here or on knittyboard.com

I would reccomend one of those quick knit books, like "One Skein", "Last Minute Knitted Gifts", "One Skein Wonders", "Weekend Knitting", etc. Go to the bookstore and page through them all and look at the patterns. That's how I started. You can accomplish a lot quickly and learn new things, and it doesn't require a lot of time or yarn. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. Most knitters love to help!
Thanks! And congrats BTW!
cindygster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #24
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
My first project was a felted purse and my goal was to make a sweater "someday." When I'd been knitting for 3 mos I made that sweater with the help of all these wonderful people here!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #25
MellieThePooh
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by cindygster View Post
Thanks!!! Is that "I can't believe I'm knitting socks!" a book or software or something?
It's a book. I found it at Hobby Lobby, I know there's a book called "I can't believe I'm knitting!" and it's a takeoff from that. If I hadn't packed the book away for our move, I could tell you the publisher too!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #26
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Ditto to everything above. I NEVER thought I could knit a sock. it just looked so complicated to me. But w/ Silver I did! Just remember, like everything, the more you do it the better you get, but sometimes #$% happens. My 1st sock was perfect. my second, I have no idea what happened. Wonky sock mess. So I frogged and started again. That's just the way it goes.
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #27
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Is this it?
http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Believe-K.../dp/1574866281
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #28
MellieThePooh
1st Leg of the Journey

Almost! This is the book. I think the reason it worked for me was all the pictures and the step by step idiot proof instructions, although I did watch Amy's video on turning a heel to get that part right. I also royally screwed up ribbing the first time, and if I'd invested in some stitch markers, things might have been different, ha! Oh well. Learned a lot.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #29
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Originally Posted by mrslevite View Post
Gotta agree. If you wait till you're 'ready', then you'll never be ready. Find something you like and go for it!
I made UGLY scarves
then made some pet toys
Then took a knitting book and made a Doll that came out Perfectly (and NO I could never repete that fete again)
but that gave me WONDERFUL confidence to do almost anything
I was scared of Socks for a LONG time, now I am amking a bunch
and I M back to making scarves, but they are pretty lacey scarves
its so cool to be knitting

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #30
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
http://www.superlaugh.com/1/behappy.htm

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote