Old 10-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

quick question..
When picking up sts for a frond band, say 3sts to every 4 rows, does this still apply when it comes to the back of the neck (accross shoulders) when the rows become stitches instead?
thanks!
mscarmen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
astonh
Turning the Heel

Most of the times I've seen something like this, you pick up stitches at a specified rate until you get to the neck and there you pick up all stitches. That has been my experience, limited as it is. I'm sure others will chime in on this to confirm or tell me I'm crazy and knitting something completely wrong.

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

THanks astonh,
I've just done a quick calculation and this seems impossible.
The pattern calls for 82 sts to be picked up from lower left until start of neck shaping. I've managed to do this by picking up 3 sts every 4 rows.
From start of neck shaping to the shoulder seam i picked up 39sts in total. The pattern calles for 145 sts to be picked up from start of neck shaping on left side to right side. And there are 35 sts across the back of the neck. SO even if i picked up sts for sts at the back of the neck it still wouldnt add up ( 39+39+35=113) im 32 sts short!
I don't know what to do!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

I've had another try and the only way i can fit 145 sts around the neck from the start of the neck shaping on the left to the start of the neck shaping on the right is if I pick up every stitch all the way around.
Now my question is, is this normal considering that from the start of neck shaping down to the hem i was picking up 3 sts per 4 rows?
I am afraid it might look strange, bunch up or pucker and not lie flat.
Can anyone give some advice?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
astonh
Turning the Heel

I'm stumped. Sorry. Never fear though.. I"m SURE someone will be able to assist.

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

Thats ok Astonh, thanks for replying and commenting!

Can anyone else help?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Do you absolutely need to have 145 sts? What would happen if you just left it at 113? Or maybe you could add the extra 32 on the next row...

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

I really am afraid to leave out that many sts, 32 is quite a lot. I'd be ok if i got to 140 or something.
I've picked up every stitch from the start of the neck shaping to the shoulder seam and i still dont get enough. I don't want to just start cramming in the extra sts anywhere, but i might just have to pick up every sts and hope that that will do the job.
Its just that everytime a pattern calls for something you'd think that you would be able to do exactly what they did to make it in the first place!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Which pattern is it, and is this for the neckband or a collar. I'm just thinking that in either case, you could go with picking up the smaller number and if you need more sts for fullness, inc them on the next row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

I can't find the pattern on the internet. I'm not even sure what magazine its out of. This is what it says:
FRONTBAND:
With right side facing you, using circular needle and starting from the lower right front edge, pick up and k 82 sts along right front edge to start of neck shaping. 145sts around neck to start of left front neck shaping and 82sts along left front edge (309sts). k the next row. k1,p1 in ribbing for 5 rows

then it goes on about the buttonholes.
To me it sound like a lot of sts. THe cardigan is almost a V neck, so im just worried that altering the number of sts will alter the look of the neck.