Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
mrs_faller
Casting On

pattern instructions help
hello everyone, i learned how to knit with the wonderful help of knittinghelp.com, so even though this is my first time on the forums, i have been a visitor of the site for quiet some time.

i have a question regarding pattern instructions. this is for a sweather that is knitted in sections. the back section has the following instructions:

" when piece measures X cm cast off for armhole each side on every other row as follows: 3 sts 1 time and 1 st 2 times. "

what does " 3 sts 1 time etc" mean? am i knitting 3 stitches together? i never knitted a sweater, so i have no idea how to finish armholes.

thank you in advance
mrs_faller is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
When it says to cast off, you cast off 3 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows.

Then knit 2 together on the next 2 right side rows.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi! :wave:

No, you're not knitting 3 stitches together. You're casting off -- also called binding off -- pretty much the same thing you do at the end of a project, only you're only doing a few stitches. When you want to start shaping for the armholes, you'll do:

* One row, cast off 3 stitches at each end
* One row normal (but 6 stitches shorter)
* One row, cast off 1 stitch at each end
* One row normal
* One row, cast off 1 stitch at each end

...though on second thought it might be hard to bind off at the end of the row, so maybe you would do:

* One row, cast off 3 stitches at beginning; rest is normal
* One row, cast off 3 stitches at beginning (which is the other side)
* Four rows, each of which you cast off 1 stitch at the beginning but do the rest as normal

The "1 time" and "2 times" in this case just refer to the number of rows. You have three "decreases", only they're cast off to form an edge rather than knit together. So what you get at the end is something like this:

|***************|
/*****************\
/*******************\
===*********************===
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

That's pretty much it. Here it is, row by row:
Row 1. Bind off 3 stitches, then continue and finish row.
Row 2. Bind off 3 stitches, then continue and finish row.
Row 3. Knit (or purl, depending on the pattern) 2 stitches together, then continue and finish row.
Row 4. Knit (or purl, depending on the pattern) 2 stitches together, then continue and finish row.
Row 5. Knit (or purl, depending on the pattern) 2 stitches together, then continue and finish row.
Row 6. Knit (or purl, depending on the pattern) 2 stitches together, then continue and finish row.
You should end up with 10 fewer stitches than you had.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
mrs_faller
Casting On

Originally Posted by brittyknits View Post
That's pretty much it. Here it is, row by row:
Row 1. Bind off 3 stitches, then continue and finish row.
Row 2. Bind off 3 stitches, then continue and finish row.
Row 3. Knit (or purl, depending on the pattern) 2 stitches together, then continue and finish row.
Row 4. Knit (or purl, depending on the pattern) 2 stitches together, then continue and finish row.
Row 5. Knit (or purl, depending on the pattern) 2 stitches together, then continue and finish row.
Row 6. Knit (or purl, depending on the pattern) 2 stitches together, then continue and finish row.
You should end up with 10 fewer stitches than you had.
but the pattern says each side every other row, doesn't that mean one row will bind off, the next i do not and so on.

thank you everyone for your tremendous help. i never done sweaters, so this threw me in for a loop. i get it now- it's almost a "DUH!" moment for me .
mrs_faller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
but the pattern says each side every other row, doesn't that mean one row will bind off, the next i do not and so on.
Yes, you're right. The BOs have to be at the beginning of the row only, but the decs can be at both ends of the row. So you BO 3 for 2 rows, then dec at beg and end of the next, work the next row across, dec the next, etc.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

You're right! But as I think one previous poster pointed out, binding off at the end of the row leaves you hanging-- literally. So if you do a decrease every row, alternating sides, you'll probably be happier. And just in case you're concerned, the majority of patterns have you bind off on every row, alternating sides-- so your sweater won't look odd!
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
But to do a dec, you don't have to bind off, just knit or purl 2 together. So that can be done on at the end of the row as well as the beginning. It's the BO that can't be done at the end of a row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote