Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
moreyarnplease
Casting On

Just a coiuple ?s about spinning please
I am not sure if I am intimidated and afraid of breaking my roving, or if it is the roving. I cant seem to get it thin enough to spin at a sock weight. Well, thats not entirely true, I can, but not evenly. The spinning isnt the part thars uneven, it is happening when I am prepping my roving into strips. Also, I feel as I am waisting alot of it by peeling thicker parts trying to get it just the right width, and the parts I am peeling will not be substantial enough to do anything with(until my prince finds me, swoops me, and buys me a carder on our way to Paris,lol)

Anyone have any tips for getting my roving to behave? TIA!!!

Off the needles:
baby socks...2 pairs
Hunting socks
3 pairs of slipper socks for the kiddos
hand painted baby pants\

Coming soon: sweaters for all boys... but its a secret, shhh

ENN
moreyarnplease is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
IamtheWalter
Ribbing the Cuff

How exactly do you predraft?

Do you just split the roving into strips or do you also pull on the roving a bit to open it up?

Are you drafting any or basically predrafting it right to the goal weight and just letting twist travel into the roving?

What you could try to do is to space your hands a few inches apart from each other (how far depends on the type of wool, so if the roving doesn't seem to budge, position them farther away) on the roving and gently tug on the roving opening up the fibers and also making it thinner in the process.

It sounds like you're trying to predraft straight to the size you're looking for. Maybe you should try to predraft thin but not too thin, say to a pencil's width, and then try to draft to the desired thickness while spinning. It's less labor intensive and once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to spin smoother and thinner.

There's alot of helpful websites out there for spinning, alot of them discussed in other posts.

Of course I must add, don't be afraid of breaking the roving since once you get the hang of it, joining a new roving is no big deal, and you're going to need practice getting the hang of it anyways.

And yes, of course, you'll be able to spin thinner and more consistently as you keep on spinning.
IamtheWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Not much to add to Walter's comments.

With any prepared roving, I find it easier to hold my hands 8"-12" inches apart and tug with each hand. Move your hands over about an inch or two and do it again.

If your roving is really compacted (like the stuff you can get from Carol Lee), a good snap of the fiber is needed.

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
moreyarnplease
Casting On

Thank you very much for your answers! I am predrafting by pulling the fiber into strips, a little thicker than I want my yarn. I think my problem lyes in the fact that I am still learning, and I have found that I prefer corser wool to the super soft shiny wool,kwim? I am also thinking about making a couple different spindles and see if it isnt the weoght of the spindle I am using. But, I do have one more question. I know that after I am done spinning, I am supposed to give it a good soak. I dont, when I am done spinning, I dont want it any thicker, so I use it as is. Here is my ?, when I am spinning super thin yarn, and it seems almost hard to touch because of the thinnes and the tension, will soaking it soften it up without losing the thinness?

Off the needles:
baby socks...2 pairs
Hunting socks
3 pairs of slipper socks for the kiddos
hand painted baby pants\

Coming soon: sweaters for all boys... but its a secret, shhh

ENN
moreyarnplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

I know what you mean ... I still have some of my first thin singles that are spun so tightly they could be rope!

Then again, you say you like using courser wool (what breed are you spinning). No matter what you do, a course wool will result in a course yarn.

You could soak it in some hair conditioner, but you'd just be coating the wool.

You should wash your yarn after spinning. This set the twist and removes any dirt, dust from the yarn.

To spindle a thin single, you'll want a light weight spindle. If you only have a heavier spindle, using the park & draft works well.

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote