Old 10-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
Fiona
Casting On

M1 help needed
I'm having trouble with a pattern for a sweater, and am ending up with 7 stitches too many so am wondering if my M1's are correct. When I work it out in theory from the pattern my count looks correct, but maybe I've misunderstood what the m1 does to the stitch count.

The pattern is as follows:

cast on 87 sts
work 17 rows in K1, P1 rib

Next row Starting with a knit row, increase across the row by 22 sts as follows. *k2, M1 (by knitting into front and back of next st), repeat from * to end. 109 sts

I make it 116 stitches. Is it me or the pattern, and am I correct in thinking that that particular M1 increases by 1.

Thank you so much for any responses. I'm itching to continue, I'm sure you all know the feeling :D

Fiona
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Have you tried it yet, instead of working out the math in your head? Knitting in the front and back of a stitch uses one st and that ratio (k2, kfb) should get you 109 sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Have you tried it yet, instead of working out the math in your head? Knitting in the front and back of a stitch uses one st and that ratio (k2, kfb) should get you 109 sts.
While I haven't tried it, I get the same math results the OP did :/ (K2 kfb -> increase one in every group of three original stitches. 87 = 29*3, not 22*3.) I'm not sure if it's supposed to be "K2 kfb until you've increased by 22 stitches, then k the rest" or what.

Alternatively, it could be a typo (intended to be K3 kfb), but that doesn't quite get 22 added stitches -- it would if you had 88, but you don't. So. Uh.

isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Fiona
Casting On

Hi, yes I've tried it out and the count is 116 on my needles.....the theory was just to try and figure out why it wasn't working. I'm new to knitting so follow blindly until something goes wrong :(

Does each m1 increase the count by 1? If so then I would have thought my count was okay.

Could you guide me through why you think it should be 109 please, it will give me a better understanding.

I thought 87 (cast on)/ 3 (no st in rep pattern) = 29 (no of m1's)

so 87 + 29 (increase count) = 116. (I've probably not allowed for something very obvious here though)

Thanks for your help
Old 10-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Maybe it should have been k3 kfb, that would be 87/4 which is close enough to 88 to be 22 sts inc. Tell you what.... start out k2, kfb, then go to k3, kfb the rest of the way. That should work out evenly.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Fiona
Casting On

Originally Posted by isabeau View Post
While I haven't tried it, I get the same math results the OP did :/ (K2 kfb -> increase one in every group of three original stitches. 87 = 29*3, not 22*3.) I'm not sure if it's supposed to be "K2 kfb until you've increased by 22 stitches, then k the rest" or what.

Alternatively, it could be a typo (intended to be K3 kfb), but that doesn't quite get 22 added stitches -- it would if you had 88, but you don't. So. Uh.

Hi Isabeau, I don't think it's a case that they meant knit after 22 increases, as it is the back of a sweater and this might make it it a bit lobsided I would imagine.

The K3 kfb is pretty close isn't it, really close just one st out.

Oh I don't know :(

Thanks for helping guys
Old 10-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

Ooh. Thought -- maybe it's supposed to be

* k2 kfb k1 *

as the repeat. Which is the one-in-four that works out right, but it increases not on the last one but on the second-to-last (so stitch 87 is an increase).

...which, yes, is the same as k2 kfb *k3 kfb
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
Fiona
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Maybe it should have been k3 kfb, that would be 87/4 which is close enough to 88 to be 22 sts inc. Tell you what.... start out k2, kfb, then go to k3, kfb the rest of the way. That should work out evenly.
That's a good solution, just wondering if the rest of the pattern is okay, maybe the cast on amount is wrong. I will email the magazine, it's a magazine here in the UK. In the mean time I'll get on with the sleeves. I've spent quite a bit of money on the yarn for this, so want to try and make sure it's as accurate as possible.

Thanks again Guys
Old 10-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Fiona
Casting On

Originally Posted by isabeau View Post
Ooh. Thought -- maybe it's supposed to be

* k2 kfb k1 *

as the repeat. Which is the one-in-four that works out right, but it increases not on the last one but on the second-to-last (so stitch 87 is an increase).

...which, yes, is the same as k2 kfb *k3 kfb
Isabeau you're a genius! I just drew that out by a tallying method and that would make perfect sense. I'm going to continue with the pattern like that, and still email the magazine. It's difficult when you're learning, it's harder to read the errors in the pattern.

At the beginning of the pattern it said k1 p1 rib for an 87 cast on and it took me two attempts of getting moss stitch to realise that I needed to alternate from k1 p1 to p1 k1...... when an odd amount. A reminder would have been useful. I've now worked out what knit stitches and purl stitches look like on the needle though, so at least I've learnt a few things in the process.