Old 10-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Please help with pattern
I learned how to do basic crochet stitches, so I was hoping to FINALLY to start a project I saw on NexStitch's site for a while now--the Sweet Pea shawl. I recently picked up Debbie Stoller's crochet book and the Sweet Pea shawl is in there, so I was really excited (this is my first pattern, too, by the way, so I'm a bit nervous).

I was able to figure out row 1 of the pattern, but on row 2, I'm really confused. The pattern lists to make a particular stitch into one stitch, then it goes like this: -2 space. What does that mean??? Here is the complete row 2 of the pattern repeat (between the asterisks); I put the part where I'm confused in red.

*ch 3, sk next ch-2 space, dc in next ch-2 space, ch 3, sk next 2 ch-1 spaces, dc in next ch-2 space,ch 3, skip next ch-2 space, sc in next dtr*

What does that "-# space(s)" mean???

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
DonnaS
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DonnaS Send a message via MSN to DonnaS Send a message via Yahoo to DonnaS
I would imagine.. and this is a guess without seeing the way the rest of this designers patterns are written...

I've never seen a ch-2 space written like that but usually it's ch2. I'd guess it's just the designers way of writing that part of the pattern out.. especially since she's using it with the ch-1 as well. Is it like that throughout the whole pattern?
My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest!

~ Nothing in life so bad it can't be solved with an afternoon of yarn shopping... and a great sale! ~

DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
redmom37
1st Leg of the Journey

I't is just the way they write it , like it says skip the first chain 2 space, db crochet in next chain 2 space,ECT. hope that helps.
redmom37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
Phretys
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Phretys
I might be wrong here, but the "ch-2 space" might mean the same as "2-ch sp" that I see in most other directions, i.e. the space made by a 2 ch in the previous row.

So "
dc in next ch-2 space" would mean to double crochet in the space made by 2 chains on the previous row.

Again, I usually see it written as 2-ch sp (or 4-ch sp or whatever).
Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99
Phretys is correct, your double crochet will go in the largish space created by the chain 2 on the previous row. I have seen it written as ch2 space, ch-2 space. I've never seen it written at 2-ch space. But it all means the same thing. Don't double crochet into the actual chain itself, but around it, if that makes sense.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by aprildavis99 View Post
Phretys is correct, your double crochet will go in the largish space created by the chain 2 on the previous row. I have seen it written as ch2 space, ch-2 space. I've never seen it written at 2-ch space. But it all means the same thing. Don't double crochet into the actual chain itself, but around it, if that makes sense.
Oh my gosh...this TOTALLY makes sense now!!! I hadn't read your post until just now; I struggled with making a practice swatch of this pattern, and I was doing that pattern for that row into the chain instead of around it, and boy, did I screw things up!I put the swatch aside in a fit of frustration. Now I can rip out the mistake, and recrochet it the right way, and see where I get.

The pattern itself seems like it would be relatively easy...the designer (a crochet pro, no doubt!) said she crocheted this shawl in one day, so I figure I can probably do it in about 1-2 weeks! Seriously, clarifying that part of the directions gives me the stamina to try again. Thanks everybody!!!

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99