Old 10-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
kaallen
Ribbing the Cuff

Double Pointed Needles
I posted a question about double pointed needles a few days ago. I'm knitting mittens and I was trying to get ribbing, but coming up with garter stitch. Thanks to the people who responded, I was able to get the ribbing done. However, I have another problem. Once the ribbing is done, I'm supposed to start knitting. I knit two rounds and it doesn't look right. The flat (knit) stitches are on the inside and the bumpy (pearled) stitches are on the outside. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I just know my knitting teacher is going to tell me I did something wrong when I go to class on Tue. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong and how I can fix it?
kaallen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

Is the problem that the ribbing itself looks inside-out? Knit a few more rounds before freaking out. The just-knit rib will be inside out like that because the bumps come up higher than the Vs; but once it's a few rows off the needle, it'll naturally fall into the normal rib pattern with the Vs in front of the bumps.

(If the problem's that you've started straight knitting -- not ribbing -- and the purl's on the outside when it's supposed to be knit, that's just the work being inside out; you can flip it through to have the purl on the inside. But it's still nothing that you need to stress about, at least yet. )

isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You're probably knitting inside out. Just flip your work through the needles and hold it so the tips are toward you. Like this -- http://www.knitpicks.com/content/wp-.../circular4.jpg

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
kaallen
Ribbing the Cuff

Suzeeq,

Thanks for providing the link with the picture of someone using double-pointed needles. I was knitting with the work heading away from me as opposed to toward me like in the photo. So, I'll just flip the work through the needles so that it's coming up toward me. I hope that works!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
kaallen
Ribbing the Cuff

Isabeau,

The ribbing is fine. It's the straight knitting that doesn't look right. It looks like I pearled when I know I knitted! If I turn the work inside out, it will look right. Is that what you mean by "flipping" it?
Old 10-20-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by kaallen View Post
Suzeeq,

Thanks for providing the link with the picture of someone using double-pointed needles. I was knitting with the work heading away from me as opposed to toward me like in the photo. So, I'll just flip the work through the needles so that it's coming up toward me. I hope that works!
Yep, you should be fine after that.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote