Old 10-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Jane Davis crochet book pattern corrections/errata?
Hi,

I am on here asking a question for my mom, who is upset over a pattern in her book, "The Weekend Crafter: Crochet: 20 Simple and Stylish Designs to Wear" by Jane Davis.

Has anyone come across any pattern errata for this book, or had personal experience with it? I wasn't able to find anything. My mother is trying to start a pattern (the Openwork Sweater Vest) in the book but it has what appears to be an impossible gauge. She and my grandmother both think it's a mistake.

Thanks!
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99
I haven't seen this book. It's at the library though. I could check it out, but it would be either much later today or tomorrow. What is the gauge, recommended needle size and yarn type? Maybe we can figure it out.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by aprildavis99 View Post
I haven't seen this book. It's at the library though. I could check it out, but it would be either much later today or tomorrow. What is the gauge, recommended needle size and yarn type? Maybe we can figure it out.

Well, I don't know the exact specifics. It's my mother who has the book and she was telling me about it on the phone last night. The pattern is the "Openwork Sweater Vest" in this book, and she started off using the recommended yarn size and hook size. But the gauge seems impossible to achieve, even by crocheting looser or changing the hook size, and the same for my grandmother, who swatched it, too. So they started thinking maybe it was a misprint.

I believe (but don't hold me to this!! I don't know how to crochet!) that the recommended gauge for this project is 2 double crochet stitches to the inch horizontally, which is all right, but also 2 double crochet stitches to the inch vertically, which isn't.

Hope this helps and you can see if that sounds right without making a trip to the library, although if it was me I need little excuse!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Well, I'll go to the library tomorrow and take a look. It's not like it's a hardship or anything. I practically live there.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Ok. I have checked out the book and have been trying to get gauge. I used a worsted weight (what the pattern calls for). I tried using hook sizes H (what the pattern calls for), I and J and it's still not working. I might be able to get it with a size K, but the fabric using J already seems too open and doesn't look at all like the photo.

I also tried Lion Brand Jiffy (bulky weight) using the size J hook and was finally able to get gauge. Again, this looks too open and now too heavy.

I have emailed the publisher asking about any errata. Hopefully they will get back to me soon.
AnnaT (10-22-2007)
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Ok. I have checked out the book and have been trying to get gauge. I used a worsted weight (what the pattern calls for). I tried using hook sizes H (what the pattern calls for), I and J and it's still not working. I might be able to get it with a size K, but the fabric using J already seems too open and doesn't look at all like the photo.

I also tried Lion Brand Jiffy (bulky weight) using the size J hook and was finally able to get gauge. Again, this looks too open and now too heavy.

I have emailed the publisher asking about any errata. Hopefully they will get back to me soon.

Wow! Aprildavis, I am so appreciative of your help!! I can't say it enough! I was planning to email the publisher as well, but wanted to wait to see what you said, since I wasn't at all sure exactly what to say--if it was a misprint in the gauge, or the hook size, or what.

I'm supposed to call my mother tonight and will confirm for her that yes, there does appear to be a problem with this pattern. I read on another crochet forum that two other books by Jane Davis also have pattern errors, but no errata sheets were ever released.

This is exactly what my mother did, swatched it trying several hook sizes and different yarns, and even had my grandmother do it, too. She says she is an extremely loose crocheter and couldn't decide if it was her or not.

She is going out of town tomorrow for several days, but I'll talk to her tonight and let her know that it isn't her and she can stop worrying about it! You know how yarn problems get on our minds!

Again, thank you! Crocheters and knitters are the best people!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Still waiting for a reply from the publisher.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Still waiting for a reply from the publisher.

That's okay! I was insanely busy this week and have hardly been on here myself. I'll keep checking back!