Old 10-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

A little stumped.
I'm working on a hoodie, which I haven't done before. Right now I'm working on the back part and I'm not 100% sure what I'm supposed to do.
Quote:
Shape neck
Knit across to first marker, bind off center sts, knit to end. (18,20,22 sts each side for shoulders)
Bind off rem sts at beg of next 2 rows.
The part in bold is what has me stumped. I understand I'll have 20 stitches on one side, 20 bound off ones in the middle and 20 on the other side. Well, what do I do from there? How do I bind off the remaining stitches if there's 20 bound off ones between them?

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You need another end of yarn. BO 20 on one side, and 20 on the other.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Ok, so when it says beg of next 2 rows, does that mean they're counting each set of shoulder stitches as a row? And also, when it says "ending with a WS wrong" does that mean that last row you knit is a WS row?

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

I think they're counting the sum of the two parts as a single row. That is, with something like this:

YYYYY ZZZZZ
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

The XXX is a single row; you then bind off stitches in the middle, leaving you with two halves (YYY and ZZZ), but "one row" is YYY+ZZZ.

Basically, what the instructions are telling you to do is bind off both of the shoulder areas (YYY and ZZZ) going from the outside in. After you bind off the center stitches, and knit to the end, you're left with 20 stitches on each end. You turn around and bind off the one partial-row of stitches, and then you need to either cut off that yarn or start a new one for the other side (so you aren't carrying the yarn across the gap), go across the rest of the row like normal, turn when you reach the outside edge, and bind off the remaining stitches.

(It doesn't look like it'll be /much/ shape to the neck, since you're only binding off one row before But I don't know the pattern, so. )

And yes, ending with a WS row means that you'll just have finished a WS row when you stop.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by SabrinaJL View Post
Ok, so when it says beg of next 2 rows, does that mean they're counting each set of shoulder stitches as a row? And also, when it says "ending with a WS wrong" does that mean that last row you knit is a WS row?
Yes to the 2nd question, kinda yes to the first one. You BO one shoulder, then skip over to the other one and work that row to the outer edge as the continuation of that `row'. Then turn and BO that shoulder.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote