Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #11
new_knitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I will eventually manage it!

OTN:
Fiber Trends Felt Clogs #15
Handle for Booga Bag hmm will I ever get back to this????
new_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
alchemyfyr
Ribbing the Cuff

I can knit without looking for short periods of time before I check it although it seems easier to purl without looking. I knit continentally which is much easier for me. I squish up as many stitches as I can on the left handle, use my left index finger to hold the stitch to be worked, then with the right insert where I think it should be and before letting go with my left finger I pull with the right needle a tiny bit to feel the resistance of the stitch and then let go with my left finger and finish the stitch. Of course, this happens pretty quickly, but just try to feel the resistance of the stitch so you know your needle is in there. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
semajrn
Casting On

knitting w/o looking
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
You sort of learn to feel with your left fingers what's coming next. And it works best on stockinette, garter or ribbing. Not lace or patterned stitches. Practice while in front of the tv.... look up for a few stitches, you know what they're going to be. Then try it for a whole row. It's just practice.
I can do this but, how do you avoid splitting threads? Even while looking, sometimes the needle's position will split the yarn and has to be corrected by repositioning the needle. If I was not looking, I never would even know that the yarn was split and therefore the project would continue with the split yarn. This is not a mistake that I can feel with my fingers.
semajrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
shelluie
1st Leg of the Journey

I can knit without looking....but then I have to frog!
shelluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't have much problem with splitty yarn, and you don't have to not ever look. Just check it once in a while.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
Marria
Working the Gusset

You know, I never really taught myself to be able to knit without looking. It's just something I started to do without realizing it after I'd been knitting for quite awhile. I think it's similar to learning to drive-you brake and shift gears, etc., without having to think it out each time, but when you first learned to drive, you had to think about it.

I do have a glance though, because I do occasionally split a stitch. However, when I move the yarn to the other needle, I can feel the thickness of it and I can usually tell when I've done this. I can knit and purl without looking, but I don't do lace or anything like that.

Incidentally, I've never been able to crochet without looking, even though I've been crocheting longer than I've been knitting. Go figure!

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #17
wezyus
Turning the Heel

Mee too can knit without looking each n every time but after a while i like checking it
wezyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #18
Autodidact
Casting On

I did a lot of knitting on the bus, which gave me incentive not to look too long at my work. (For the same reason I can't read much on the bus; I get ill.) I became very conscious of feeling for the stitch with my left fingertips and holding it in place to insert the right needle and feeling a little pop as you pick the yarn through the stitch. What amazed me most was that my error rate seems to have nothing to do with whether or not I was looking at my knitting.
Autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote