Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Maddison
1st Leg of the Journey

Need a single pattern
I just need to know how to do the little roses from the Nicky Epstein Knitting on the Edge. Those pretty little ones that are on the cover. I don't want to buy a whole book just for those! I will trade a pattern if you want anything I own. I have the other On the Edge book of hers! Otherwise, I'm going to the bookstore and going to copy it down. I can't afford a whole book just for one little pattern.

Thanks!!!
Maddison is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
candicane
Working the Gusset

Have you tried your local library?

Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I was just going to say library too. My aunt just took both of her books out at the library. I think it would be better to copy the pattern out at the library rather than the bookstore...

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Maddison
1st Leg of the Journey

My local library is TINY and doesn't carry much. I just need the one little thing, not the entire book. I'm willing to trade or swap for it!! I would like to add it to the edge of a sweater. I saw it done once on DIY but I can't find that link on their website. I can find other ones free online but they look different, not as pretty.
Maddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
cranberry
Ribbing the Cuff

You might want to look into ordering things online. Just because your library doesn't carry anything, doesn't mean they can't order it. I can order books through mine and it's about as easy as using Amazon.com. I can get just about anything too!

Other than that try knittingpatterncentral.com I've seen lots of knitted and crochet flower patterns that are free online. I don't have the book, sorry I have copied a couple recipes at Barnes and Noble though.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Sorry, but someone who copied the pattern from the book and sent it to you would be violating Nicky Epstein's copyright protection.

Here's a small tutorial on copyright law as it applies to knitting:
http://www.geocities.com/jbtocker/co...copyrfaq2.html

I know it sounds like no big deal, but think of it this way:
Nicky Epstein spent years to learn her design skills and who knows how long to write the book. When a reader distributes copies of her work, Epstein is being deprived of royalty income from her book.

It's okay to copy from library books within legally prescribed limits. Even if your library is poorly stocked, you can ask for an interlibrary loan, which I'm sure a library system the size of Chicago's can arrange for.

The other thing you can do is Google "free knitted rose pattern." There are quite a few -- at the Lion Brand and Berocco sites, for instance. One of them might do the job for you.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Does your library have an interlibrary loan system? All of the libraries in my area, and also up where I was in Alaska, have excellent systems and often they are linked into a national system, also. You might talk to your librarian. Even if they don't normally do ILL they might have a friendly larger library that has it or can get it for you and will let your library check it out to you.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote