Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #21
melissaatk
Ribbing the Cuff

Not at all! I did the same exact thing!
melissaatk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #22
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
My kids used to love to play in the bath tub. This was before I knit, so I always took a book to read. I'd sit and read and they'd play forever, it seemed. I say knit while you wait! ;-)
Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #23
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
The best advice I can give after pt'ing two girls- wait till she's ready. Otherwise it will just stress you both out. It will happen when it happens; don't let anyone tell you it's time. If she's ready, then it's just a matter of practice. I put my girls in panties (the thick, absorbent kind) and did a lot of laundry for a week or two- and then they were trained. #2 generally takes longer, and lots of kids are 'afraid' of using the potty for #2. Not sure what that's about, exactly, but apparently for a little kid there is something really disturbing about seeing a solid 'part of your body' going down the drain. Makes sense, I guess. I think taking your knitting in there is a GREAT idea because it will let you have more patience- and patience is the key.

Also- overnight can take a LOT longer than daytime training. My first daughter training at 2 years, 3 months during the day, but couldn't make it through the night till she was 5. It's just not physically possible for some kids to hold it that long. Rather than continue buying diapers, we just got her up mid-way through the night and took her to the potty.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #24
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Ugh the dreaded potty training! You aren't a bad mom as many have already said. Also, don't waste money on potty training books - it sounds like you and your daughter are doing great. It takes time and if the child isn't ready it takes way longer. Just keep doing what you are doing and take your knitting with you.

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #25
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Joanne, a book that was highly reccomended by my may 98 moms list was "everybody poops"
Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #26
marykz
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
Rather than continue buying diapers, we just got her up mid-way through the night and took her to the potty.
this was key to our overnight successes.... she was 2 1/2 when we started PT. daytime was no problem: we had a schedule, every 2 hours we visited the bathroom.

night time was different. she would get her last drink around 7, go before bed, then one of us would wake her up at 11 or 12 and put her on the pot, then back in bed. then she was ok until morning.

we only had to do this routine for about 2-3 months. then her muscle control grew/ developed and she's been fine since.

(and there's nothing about knitting while the child is sitting that could make you a bad mom!!! )

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #27
walmin22
1st Leg of the Journey

Any time my boys want me in the bathroom I either, clean the bathroom, fold clothes, read a book or my favorite knit!

So Knit away Mama!

My husband called me the Pavlo of PTing. It does take a lot of commitment on the parents part so it's not for everyone. If you would like to know what I did send me a message.

What I can say is what ever method your doing to train your daughter just be consistent and she'll be trained soon enough.

Good Luck and Happy Knitting!

OTN: Baby Sweater for Mary Grace
OTN: Sentimental Stripes Felted Tote - Do not like one of the colors I picked so...

walmin22 is offline   Reply With Quote