Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Thinking of Getting Into Spinning - Is it FINANCIALLY Worth it????????????????
So I dragged DH into the LYS a few days ago.........it's kinda pricey...........so this morning DH tells me as he's walking out the door.........."you need to learn how to make YARN"!!!!!!!

I think......"OK"

So is it really worth it???????? I know it's relaxing and fun, I know I'd have to shell out a couple of hundred at least for a spinning wheel. And I know it's worth it to get EXACTLY the color and yarn content you want, but FINANCIALLY...............is it worth it?????????
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
chillawilla
Ribbing the Cuff

I think so, but I spin because I like it not necessarily because it'll save me money on yarn.

I still buy yarn. Lots of it too.

When you've bought the fiber, then put in your time, dye..you'll understand why handknits from handspun are sooo expensive.

It's satisfying though, taking the project from fiber to finished item.

Ask the husband if he'll mind the fiber stash being added to the yarn stash because once you start spinning you need a fiber stash too! If you start from raw fleece the new stash will even smell like sheep!

~michelle~

I am chillawilla on Ravelry.

OTN(s): Nutkin socks, cabled scarf
FO: Sprout Cardi

In progress on the wheel: fingering 2-ply for the cabled scarf

On the spindle: worsted 2-ply handdyed BFL yum
chillawilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chillawilla For This Useful Post:
Arielluria (10-29-2007)
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
IamtheWalter
Ribbing the Cuff

I haven't sat down and figured it out but I would say that my wheel has payed for itself, considering that most of the wool I spin costs $8-15 a pound and exotics are usually much cheaper to spin than buy as yarn. If you want to compare the price of the fiber to the price of handspun yarn, and not millspun, then the equipment will pay itself off even quicker. Also, if you're willing to dye, a pound of white wool roving can make any weight or color of yarn in any (say 2 oz of dk weight green, 4 oz of laceweight blue, 10 oz of bulky hand dyed) amount while a 100g skein of say, worsted weight green wool yarn can only make something that calls for green worsted weight wool yarn, and if you only needed 3 oz of it you now have an extra half ounce or so that will either get thrown out or stay in your stash unused.

I'm not counting the fact that I now have a stash of fiber much larger than my stash of yarn though .

I also must admit to still buying yarn.

If you're concerned with cost, there is drop spindling. Sure, it's slower than the wheel, but it's alot cheaper to start out with, and any skills learned on it can be translated over to the spinning wheel if (when) you decide to get one. I spin alot on drop spindles, and though it is much slower, it's also transportable, so I can take one with me in a bag and spin when walking places, when waiting, whenever I have free time, and the free time adds up.

I must remind you of the hated question: if you can buy a sweater/hat/pair of socks/etc... in a store for cheaper than the cost of materials, why knit it? the answer is pretty much the same for whether or not it's economical to spin or not. The process is a big part of spinning and if you like it, then it's another hobby and it's worth it.

One more thing to keep in mind: the resale value of spinning wheels and some other fiber prep tools is very high, so if you don't like spinning you won't lose much of your investment.
IamtheWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Will you be counting the amount of time it will take to dye, spin, ply, wash, skein & ball that fiber into yarn? What is your time worth? Do you want instant gratification of a final finished object or can you take joy in each of the steps needed to create yarn?

For me, it's worth it but not because of the financial portion of the equation. I'd rather spin than knit any day!

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

It's kinda like asking, "Is it financially worth it to knit socks or sweaters?"

If you look at knitting or spinning as part of your entertainment budget, then yes.

If you went to the movie theater and they said, "We'll sell you a gift certificate for $40 where you can sit in the movie theater and be entertained for 4 hours and come out of it with a beautiful skein of yarn.

Is that a good deal?

If you spin you knit less. And it takes a long time to spin enough yarn for a sweater.

Is spinning fun and rewarding? You betcha! Will you buy less yarn? Hard to tell...if you love spinning more than knitting, yes, you will, but you'll buy more roving.

It's fun. Try it. You'll like it.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

Your question has already been well answered by other spinners. But I wanted to add my perspective.

For me, spinning (I only have a drop spindle now) is very much financially worth it. It slows me down. If I ever decide to sell this stuff to recoup some of my investment, I'll get a wheel and learn to use it, because the drop spindle is so slow. But I knit to keep my hands busy. If I weren't spinning fiber, I would be knitting (or participating in some other hobby that would equally or more expensive - don't ask me about scrapbooking and stamping!). But the spinning slows me down so I'm not knitting as much and I'm not running back to the store to buy more yarn. $14 worth of merino top has lasted much much longer than $14 worth of store bought yarn would. And the pleasure and satisfaction is much much greater, too.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Hsiaokuo62
how HARD is it?
I know that's changing the question, but how hard is it to spin? I see people doingit but I don't know if *I* could!

OTN: socks for DS almost done.
Hsiaokuo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Hsiaokuo62 View Post
I know that's changing the question, but how hard is it to spin? I see people doingit but I don't know if *I* could!
Well, I don't spin on wheel - yet! I spindle spin. But my theory is, if all those other people can learn to spin, I certainly can, too. People all of the world, from every walk of life have been spinning for centuries. There must not be a really big secret to it. I don't think you need the special 'spinning gene' to be able to do it. I do think, though, that to make fine, even, consistent yarn, practice, practice, practice is required and that it may come easier to some people than to others. I think, too, that people who can't learn to spin, can't learn because of the repetition and the monotony they perceive rather than the spinning itself. Some people may not have the 'personality' to spin, but just about everyone has the ability to learn to spin.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by chillawilla View Post
Ask the husband if he'll mind the fiber stash being added to the yarn stash because once you start spinning you need a fiber stash too! If you start from raw fleece the new stash will even smell like sheep!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
midnightskyfibers
1st Leg of the Journey

For me, spinning is cheaper- but I buy HUGELY in bulk and dye really large amounts of fiber at one time. It is cheaper for me because I can spin the exact yarn I want, so I am more likely to enjoy knitting it and more likely to finish the project.

I still buy lots of yarn though. Doesn't help that I work in an LYS though
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
midnightskyfibers is offline   Reply With Quote