Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Felted needle holders
I swear that somewhere, sometime I saw a pattern for a felted holder for a single pair of knitting needles. I would like to make some to help me organize my needles - I have a needle case but all the needles go in one compartment. Since I have never felted before, I would like a pattern because I really have no idea how big of a pre-felting tube I will need in order to felt it down to a cozy little needle holder. Once I know how the felting process works, I will be able to adjust for other sizes and styles of needles.
Does anyone know of a pattern, or has anyone tried this before? I have some leftover Patons Classic Merino that I plan to use, and I know I've heard it felts well.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

http://www.catbordhi.com/free_patterns.html

I was so sure there was a pattern at Cat Borhdi's site, here's her freebies and a photo of some but no pattern. Maybe I saw them in one of her books.... I only own one of her mobius books and her new sock book; I'll have to go find the mobius book and see if it has a pattern for these.

Did you try googling 'felted needle holder knit pattern' or something similar?

Patons Classic does felt well - it felts pretty fast, too so keep an eye on them or they'll felt too small to fit needles in.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (11-01-2007)
Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...es_caddies.php

here's another idea - maybe one of these is the right shape even if it's designed to hold something else.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
jess_hawk (11-01-2007)
Old 10-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Thank you both for your help.

I did try googling it, and also checking through KPC. I didn't come up with anything I wanted. The "Spiral Felted Needle Cozies" shown inside the "needle quiver" here: http://www.catbordhi.com/documents/Quiver.pdf are basically what I am looking for. Actually, the "quiver" itself is pretty nifty, I may have to make one of those. But that's beside the point. The book that the needle cozies are found in costs $27, and I only really want the one pattern. There's got to be something similar SOMEWHERE... right?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I finally found my book, A 2nd Treasury of Magical Knitting. It is definitely what you want, the pattern is there. I can't say why Cat included this simple pattern in a mobius book becuase it definitely isn't mobius knitting.

Can you check the book out of the library? Perhaps you know another knitter who owns it and would let you borrow it? You see people reading books all the time at Barnes/Noble type stores - can you find it there and read over the 3-5 pages that talk about the needle cozies. Even the sprial ones are start out as a basic rectangular shape. Copywright laws prohibit me from going into too many details about the pattern.

I did find this: http://needle-to-needle.blogspot.com...1_archive.html Scroll down to May 06 for her needle cozy project. This may give you some tips on how to get the spiral.

Marilyn
mirl56@ yahoo.com

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
jess_hawk (11-01-2007)
Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 AM   #6
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I don't know if this will help you... it's a holder not a cozy but I thought maybe it would be helpful.... http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/BK4K-0612001.html

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAmaDawn For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (11-01-2007)
Old 10-25-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

To get the spiral effect, start your tube with a couple rounds of plain knitting (see below). Then at the beginning of the round, K1, P2, Knit around. Next round K2 P2 Knit around. Next round K3 P2 Knit around. Continue in this manner, moving the P2 sts around the tube. If you want a "lip" on the end of the tube, do a couple of P rounds before binding off.

The rule of thumb I've been using is to make an object to be fulled about one third longer than you want the final project. Items generally full more in length than in width. The size of an item is totally dependent on how long you full the item. I generally check every 5 to 10 minutes and take it out when it's the size I want. I also use white vinegar instead of soap so I don't have to worry about the item fulling even further during the rinsing stage. If you have a long tube like a piece of PVC pipe or something you can slip the wet tube over it to help it dry nice and round. Or stuff with grocery bags to help it block nicely while drying. Or maybe even the knitting needles (not wood or bamboo) you want it as a case for.

As I don't like starting with one stitch and increasing, I'd cast on with waste yarn and do a couple rounds with that. Then start with the good yarn. Once you've bound off, take out the waste yarn, run a needle with yarn through the live sts of the tube and gather. Secure the end.

HTH

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yarnlady For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (11-01-2007)
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Mirl56: thank you for the advice. The spiral really isn't that important, I'm more concerned with wasting the time and yarn experimenting to make a holder the right size when I've never felted before, so I don't know how much it will shrink. Thats why I need a pattern. Unfortunately, our library doesn't have the book. I'll see if I can ILL (Inter-Library Loan) it later. That being said, the link you provided was really interesting about how she got the twist, and I may try it out.

MamaDawn: Thank you for the link, unfortunately its not what I am looking for.

Yarnlady: Thanks for the advice! Maybe with this information I will be able to knit up some needle holders without an actual pattern.
Well, I won't be starting for a while yet anyway (gotta finish up my current OTN projects first) but I think I have a good start.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Well I checked the ILL listings and a library on the other side of town has 2nd Treasury of Magical Knitting. Fortunately I now volunteer at the greyhound adoption kennel outside of town, and to get there I go right past the library. Great luck! And my library is part of the greater group of libraries who all share one system for library cards, so my student ID works at the other library!

Thanks again everyone for your help!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I'm glad to hear that, Jess. it's only about 3 pages, some of her ideas are so simple you won't believe you didn't think of them yourself (Like sticking a wooden spoon handle up the cozie a couple times during felting to keep it from felting closed!)

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
jess_hawk (11-01-2007)