Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Adding crochet buttonband to knit item
I am almost finished with this cabled cardigan, and rather than doing the neckband/buttonband (all one piece, up the edges and around the back of the neck) the way the pattern says, I'd like to do it in crochet. I am comfortable enough with crochet to know how to do it, but figuring out the spacing for the crochet stitches to make it lay flat is driving me crazy!! I've figured out that the straight edges up the front sides of the cardigan work great with 3sc, skip 1, 3sc, skip 1, etc., but I continued that around the whole edge for 2 rows now and from where the front neckline shaping starts (where it forms the 'V'), the 3sc skip 1 sequence isn't working. It is flaring like crazy and is obviously way too many sc's to make it lay flat. And then there's the back of the neckline, which obviously I'd like to lay as flat as possible.

I don't really want to keep experimenting and ripping if there is a 'formula' of sorts for how many stitches to work on different types of edges (ie. straight vertical edges, curved edges, bound off edges, etc.) in order to achieve a proper ratio. I know in knitting, with picking up stitches, there are general rules of thumb but not so sure with crochet.

Edited to add: If you take a look at the pattern and notice the shawl collar, this isn't what I'm talking about...it starts out with a regular band around the entire front opening, and then the collar is an option after that.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
What size hook are you using in comparison to the size of the needles you've used for the sweater? I've noticed that sticking with the same size, or one size smaller for your hook might help.

Other than that, i'm not sure what else to suggest. Good luck, and I hope I helped
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote