Old 11-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to shortnsweetly
Ravelry? I'm missing something here!
Ok, I haven't been on this site for very long, but I can already tell everyone is a huge fan of ravelry. Now, hopefully the knitting gods wont take away my needles for asking this, but what is ravelry? I went to the site and saw the huge waiting list, but I can't tell what the website is all about.
Whats the big deal with ravelry?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Beating_Earth
Ribbing the Cuff

No help here but I saw the site and couldnt tell what it was about either. Hopefully someone can give us the heads up

Hoping to learn lots

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp
Beating_Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

It's a great way to keep track of your FO's, WIP's, projects you want to knit, yarn, books, etc... My favorite feature is you can search for a specific type of yarn, then you can see all the projects made using that yarn. Or you can search for a certain pattern and see how it looks in different yarns.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
wednesday
Ribbing the Cuff

Shoot I signed up a week ago or so.....of course I am one kazillions in line, LOL. I really didn't care until now, Sabrina sure has made want to get on to it now. I am forever substituting yarns, because I am to cheap, or I don't want wool for that particular item or I can't get the color I want, it's crazy but I rarely use the specilied yarn even if it is cheapo yarn from Wally World
wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:10 AM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

There's a set of screenshots here...and a video tour here...I think they will give you a good idea of what the features are and why it's so flippin' cool.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
DonnaS
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DonnaS Send a message via MSN to DonnaS Send a message via Yahoo to DonnaS
Ravelry is very cool.. instead of having all these sticky notes in pattern books of projects I want to makeI can just Queu it in Ravelry and chart progress, look at other peoples profiles that are making the same thing, post pictures of progress, find out from others if they had the same problems with a project or were happy with the houtcome and join groups relevant to my interests etc. I've started The Curvalicious Sisterhood there and have found a knitting group in Alabama as well as one for horse lovers!!

I can inventory my books and patterns, my stash, my needles and print a cool card with all my needle inventory so when I'm out shopping I know exactly what I need to complete my inventory.

I never saw the "cool" in Ravelry either until I joined and got into the whole thing, but this is WAY cool. It took me maybe a month or 6 weeks to get in once I applied but I'm having a blast there
My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest!

~ Nothing in life so bad it can't be solved with an afternoon of yarn shopping... and a great sale! ~

DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

I wasn't too impressed with Ravelry when I first got in, but as time has passed, I've found it great. In addition to keeping track of what I'm knitting, cataloguing new stash (I refuse to go take pictures of the various stashes around the house), I get to see what others are making with the yarn I have, or how others have embellished a pattern I'd like to make. Plus I can IM someone who's used that or done that if I have a question.

There are hundreds of interest groups: People that like a certain type of yarn, or book (fiction or knitting), tv shows, or other interests that bring them together.

I am organizing the Log Cabin Charity Baby Blankets here and started a group for us on Ravelry. Already we got an "outsider" to join that, when she found out about KH, joined here, too.

It's a great social network for knitters and you can use it as much or as little as you want.

Try it, you'll like it!

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Ravelry is where all the cool kids hang out. ROFL! Seriously it has been a wonderful addition to my knitting collection. I still come here for most of my interactions with other knitters, but there are also boards for various kinds of knitters (religious, interest, socks, location, hobbies, tv shows, etc.) I love that I am able to look at other people's projects that are made from the same pattern or yarn I'm working with. I've also been able to track down some yarn in the same dye lot as some I had to make a project. It's a great place to get ideas or to see a pattern worked in something different than the designer originally knit it in. It is hard sometimes to imagine a pattern done in a different yarn. Once you start seeing lots of different projects done in a variety of yarns it really helps you visualize what your yarn may look like knit in a particular pattern.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
losnana
Working the Gusset

I use it to catalog my stash, projects and books, and am just starting to add in all those things I have carried in my mind on the "To Knit" list. Much safer than relying on memory, at least for me. I don't really use Ravelry for interaction with others knitters, though. For that, I come here. FREQUENTLY!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to shortnsweetly
Wow, ravelry sounds great! Only about 5,000 people in front of me in line, hopefully I'll be in by Christmas time!