Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
Shelley
Casting On

Lisa...believe it or not...it IS helping. I'm a visual person so reading instructions is one of my weak areas...therefore, the fact that you're being so kind is appreciated more than you know!

That said...two final (I hope) questions...just for total clarification.

"After you move the 2 stitches to the cable needle and let it hang, you knit the next 2 stitches on the left hand needle, (it's like skipping over the 2 on the cable needle) drop the left hand needle and pick up the cable needle and hold it in your left hand as if it was your left hand needle and knit the 2 stitches off of it." At this point...I will be holding the cable needle in my left hand and the "dropped left-hand needle" in my right hand in order to knit the 2 stitches off the cable needle...is that correct?

"They will be on your right hand needle after you knit each stitch. (This is what makes the cross or twist) Pick the left hand needle back up and continue on with the row." By telling me to "pick the left needle back up and continue the row"...are you saying to switch the needles back to the original hands (left to left and cable to right)? (What I fear is that I don't understand the concept of "dropping the left needle and knitting the 2 stitches off the cable needle with while only holding one needle.)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
Shelley
Casting On

WAIT...I'M SUPPOSED TO HAVE THREE NEEDLES???

My pattern didn't say that. Yikes. Perhaps I've taken on more than I can knit!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #13
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Yes, the cable needle is the 3rd needle. If you watch the video, her cable needle is straight. Some of them are curved or shaped like the letter J. I like to use the one shaped like a J. A cable needle is a separate needle used to hold the stitches. So when the pattern states to slip 2 stitches onto a cable needle, it's a separate needle. Some people use a double pointed needle (dpn) instead of buying a cable needle.

No wonder it was hard to picture what I was explaining. Thanks to isabeau for her directions! Watch the video and you'll see Amy using the cable needle. Let me know how it goes!

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
Shelley
Casting On

Originally Posted by Lisa1216 View Post
Here's the link to the knitting help video on cables. Maybe this will make it easier to see.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/...cables-rds.mpg
Lisa, I just watched the video and feel like a ninny.

Okay...having three needles answers ALL my questions. I thought you were calling the right needle the 'cable needle'.

Yikes. LOL

Did I mention that I'm a crocheter...more than one needle is uncomprehensible to me .

Now...I will be checking the "beginner's kit" I purchased to see if I have an actual cable needle.

I CAN DO THIS!

I want to thank y'all for the explanation.

Isabeau...thanks for your mention of the THREE needles...I actually blushed when I read that...hoping against hope that y'all would get a good laugh out of this newbie's faux pas.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

(Didn't laugh, just smiled )

Yes, you can do this!!!! Cables are fun once you get used to them. I have tried to crochet many times and can never get the tension even. I fight it more than anything. I can knit for hours though.

Good luck and post a picture of your cables!

Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Old 10-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
Shelley
Casting On

will do. i'll try to have a pic posted by the weekend.

thanks again. (what a fun and giving group this is!)

have a great rest o' the day.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
Shelley
Casting On

Here are the pictures of my first attempt at C2R, C2L
I want to thank y'all, again, for your patience and help.

I went back to the pattern...ready to try using a cable needle. But after reading the instructions for about the millionth time...I finally realized how to do what it was saying.

And...believe it or not...it did NOT call for a cable needle.

Although the cross over stitch here at KnittingHelp.com says to use a cable needle...my pattern's instructions were as follows:

C2R (Cross 2 Right) = knit into front of 2nd st on left-hand needle, then knit first st, slipping both sts off needle at the same time.

C2L (Cross 2 Left) =knit into back of 2nd st on left-hand needle, then knit first st the usual way, slipping both sts off needle at the same time.

The craziest thing is...now that I've completed nearly the whole back of the sweater (child's)...and I've typed the instructions above...I still don't think I got it quite right (I just realized that on the C2L, I knit in the back of both stitches instead of the first only). However...this is what I ended up with. I think it looks pretty good for my first time ever knitting. (Even if it's not quite right.)

Here are the stitches up close.

This is what the back of the sweater is shaping up to look like.

Now I'm off to create the sleeve holes.

Wish me luck!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #18
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
I want to thank y'all, again, for your patience and help.

I went back to the pattern...ready to try using a cable needle. But after reading the instructions for about the millionth time...I finally realized how to do what it was saying.

And...believe it or not...it did NOT call for a cable needle.

Although the cross over stitch here at KnittingHelp.com says to use a cable needle...my pattern's instructions were as follows:

C2R (Cross 2 Right) = knit into front of 2nd st on left-hand needle, then knit first st, slipping both sts off needle at the same time.

C2L (Cross 2 Left) =knit into back of 2nd st on left-hand needle, then knit first st the usual way, slipping both sts off needle at the same time.

The craziest thing is...now that I've completed nearly the whole back of the sweater (child's)...and I've typed the instructions above...I still don't think I got it quite right (I just realized that on the C2L, I knit in the back of both stitches instead of the first only). However...this is what I ended up with. I think it looks pretty good for my first time ever knitting. (Even if it's not quite right.)

Here are the stitches up close.

This is what the back of the sweater is shaping up to look like.

Now I'm off to create the sleeve holes.

Wish me luck!
Hi there...pm'd you

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #19
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Shelley~It looks great!! I think you are doing a great job on it! Only you will know that you did the stitches a little different than what it said to do. As long as you keep doing them the same way, no one will ever know.
Thanks for posting a pic!

Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Old 09-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
EHOKeefe
Casting On

Different Instructions for C2R and C2L?
My pattern gives different instructions for the C2R and C2L from the ones described in this thread, but I'm not sure how to execute them. Any advice?

These are the instructions:

C2R: On RS skip first st, and knit into front of second st, leaving both sts on left needle. Knit first st and slip both off needle. On WS skip first st, and purl into the front of the second st, leaving both sts on left needle. Purl first st and slip both off needle.

C2L: On RS, skip first st, and knit into the back of second st, leaving both sts on left needle. Knit first st and slip both off needle. On WS, skip first st and purl into the back of second st, leaving both sts on left needle. Purl first st and slip both off needle.

Could anyone provide a youtube video of this technique, or some clearer directions? I know that I haven't been doing this correctly.
Thanks!
EHOKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote