Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
chie96
1st Leg of the Journey

How do I knit the worng side on row 1?
Good afternoon! I want to make a scarf that says:
Row 1 (wrong side) K 1, (p 3, k 2) 3 times, p 3, k 1
Row 2 Knit
Repeat Rows 1-2...
How do I start the 1st row? Should I make the cast-on (I used long-tail cast on) face left instead of right? That's all I can think of.
TIA if you can help me!

chie96 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

to start your first row, the needle with the co stitches should in your left hand. the empty needles that you will be knitting the stitches onto should be in your right hand. there's nothing special you do to "make" a wrong or right row. when your pattern says "row 1 (wrong side)", it's just indicating that in the way the stitch pattern is written out, you will knit the first row (and all subsequent odd numbered rows) with the wrong side facing you. all even numbered rows will have the right side facing you. it's a way of orienting yourself. (the knitter's compass, so to speak )

i hope i got those right. if i'm not actually holding an "in the round" project in my hands, my brain has a hard time remembering which is which.

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
AngMac
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to AngMac
Originally Posted by Lady Violet View Post
to start your first row, the needle with the co stitches should in your left hand. the empty needles that you will be knitting the stitches onto should be in your right hand. there's nothing special you do to "make" a wrong or right row. when your pattern says "row 1 (wrong side)", it's just indicating that in the way the stitch pattern is written out, you will knit the first row (and all subsequent odd numbered rows) with the wrong side facing you. all even numbered rows will have the right side facing you. it's a way of orienting yourself. (the knitter's compass, so to speak )

i hope i got those right. if i'm not actually holding an "in the round" project in my hands, my brain has a hard time remembering which is which.
Sounds right to me. That is the way I would work the pattern.

AngMac on Ravelry

OTN:Manos Blanket, Scarf, Socks, Poinsettia Wreath and Koolhaas Hat.
Awaiting Finishing:Hedwig the Owl and a Hedgehog
FO:My So Called Scarf
AngMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
chie96
1st Leg of the Journey

TY both so much! I have already worked several rows and it's looking just like it should. I just love this site!!!

chie96 is offline   Reply With Quote