Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

Is it time I should quit knitting?
I really wonder sometimes if this hobby is worth it. I find lately it frustrates more than satisfies me. I don't finish anything and the things I need to get done don't work because the least bit of a deadline, no matter how long out makes me hate what I'm doing and I make tons of mistakes.
This feeling I am sure is spawned by a very horrible beginning to my week that I shall just say I will not go into detail. However, I thought after work yesterday I would do some yarn shop therapy. I impulsively bought a 37.00 skein of Jade Sapphire Mongolian Cashmere to make a pair of wristlets. They had one knitted up and it felt divine as was just the right size project to whip up this weekend while I shut myself off from the world. Well, because it's in a hank, and I have successfully wound my own center-pull balls before, I was sure to do it again. OK, one other time it didn't work...but it was cheap yarn. I got it so knotted up that all I could do was ball it up in frustration and throw it accross the room. I dreamt about it all night along with my mounting frustration about my bad week and I think this stupid yarn was the vehicle to bring out all my wrath. I tried to untangle it again...and mind you I actually found two spots were the hank was tied by the company...so that sucks in itself! Well, I basically just flushed 37 bucks, I cut up the pile of wreckage and threw it in the garbage. And I am most likely going to go back to the shop and get another, but have it wound there. Why I didn't ask to have it done? I don't know...it was close to closing time, I was the one in a hurry to get home, and frankly I thought I could handle it.
Please tell me I'm not the only one that just tosses it, admits it's a hopeless battle, and starts over.
The last time I posted about being this upset at wasting money and yarn, I was advised I should be in anger management. I know I invite all types of opinions by posting this, but be kind. I don't expect hugs either. I basically feel if I write it out, it's not in my head. I've been told by my mom and others whenever I feel bad or guilty about something, whether I am to blame or not, that I have to "let it go" "get over it" "you can't allow others to make you feel bad." That pisses me off more and more every time I hear it because that tells me I am not allowed to feel the way I want. Then I feel guilty/mad for mentioning it even once because I think the other person will be upset. It's a vicious circle and my hobby suffers for it.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I kinda know how you feel. I will never be a great knitter, although I've had big dreams of such, flipping through Vogue Knitting, picking out patterns. Any project that takes more than a day or two I tire of and let sit. I've tried more vigorous projects and just ended up frustrated because I get almost done and make a mistake that's always not repairable at least with my skills and frustration level.
Right now I've found my middle ground. I knit small things like dish cloths and a few purses but nothing too extravagant. I find the reward of finishing something much more greater than starting something really flamboyant and not completing it. For awhile I was getting really bummed out by looking at everyone else's completed projects that look like they came off the showroom. None of my stuff will ever be like that but after I finally realized some people have the talent and others (dare I say it), don't I'm ok with it and I'm ok with just being me, the one who knits easy, one day projects. Hey, afterall at least I know how to knit, that's better than some people.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Hey Jodie, we all have bad weeks at times in our lives. I don't even try to knit when I am feeling like that because I know I will get frustrated. The best time to knit is when you are not already frustrated. Either that, or work on a project that you KNOW you are familiar with and is not too hard (do some mindless knitting). I hope you have a better week next week!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
BinkyKat (10-27-2007)
Old 10-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

I'm so sorry that this happened. I'm a teacher and sometimes I have students who get 'a bit more upset' when things don't go the way that they intended.. was that you when you were younger?

IF so, you might have a perfectionist type of personality and small mistakes will stress you out more than they do for other people. I know it doesn't help- but, sometimes we do need to know why we react the way that we do to things.
I had a student once who (in 3rd grade) would be so stressed (he would be sobbing) while I was passing out papers.. because he didn't have his paper instantly.. even as I was going to each group to give them their papers. I would get him to 'notice' that he wasn't the only one who didn't have his paper and has he ever been totally forgotten?

He was very bright.. Type A personality and, such a perfectionist and wanted to control his surroundings. It took months- but, he finally got better. I made him a little chart that stayed on his desk.. and before he could 'raise his hand/ask me a question/etc.' He had to mark the appropriate category on the chart for how he was feeling. *I had made a very unhappy face, a face w/ a line drawn straight across, and a happy face.
It took about 3-4 months and he finally got to where.. he was marking almost all 'happy faces' and finally one day... he told me that he didn't need his chart anymore and he didn't. I had slowly taught him to respond appropriately to the situation.
AND, please.. please.. if the yarn hasn't been picked up by the trash company yet.. could you please get the yarn out of the trash and donate it (yes, as it is) to a school? Any art teacher or even an elementary classroom teacher would be happy to have the yarn- no matter what it's condition is right now. *IT will turn something good out of a bad yarn situation. :D

GOOD luck. I also had my student.. write down what he 'feared' would happen.. because something didn't happen. Did it happen? What happened instead? What were solutions/options?
I'm sorry that things don't seem to be working out for you right now. I know that when we are in the midst of problems-- what is happening to us seems far worse than anything that happens to others.. it's just human nature.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iwouldratherbeknitting For This Useful Post:
BinkyKat (10-27-2007)
Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
fargo_knitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Venting really helps me to deal with things. Once its out of my system and I have had a chance to cool off (I can have a wicked temper ), I put things into perspective and feel better about it.

I hate hitting a bad patch in knitting. It seems like nothing fits right or looks like it should, but it always comes around.

Take a break from it if you have to. You'll come back to it when you are in the right frame of mind.
fargo_knitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fargo_knitting For This Useful Post:
BinkyKat (10-27-2007)
Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
rockawayknitter
Casting On

fustrated too
I started to knit a poncho size 5 toddler and I am not sure of the right amount of stitches that I should have cast on.
rockawayknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
lauraknits
Knitting the Flap

Hey, I have totally been where you are. Sometimes, knitting relieves stress. Other times, it seems to crystallize the frustration we are already feeling and brings it to a head. I have finally decided that it is OK to chuck a hank of yarn across the room or throw away 37 bucks worth of yarn... IF it will make me feel better. If it does... totally worth it!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,135 Times in 706 Posts
Don't feel bad I get like this most of the time when I'm knitting sweaters for other people.They never seem to fit right.I figure what the hell did I do wrong this time.So I have decided to just knit sweaters for me.I also had trouble with winding yarn so just and bought a ball winder.This is the perfect place to vent because ONLY knitters can understand the fraustation.VENT away and we will listen and try to help you.I also wonder why I even try to knit.I just put the project away and do something else for awhile.That's why we have sooooooo many UFO

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to momwolf For This Useful Post:
BinkyKat (10-27-2007)
Old 10-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Also, it's a good idea to never start a new skill/etc.. when things aren't peaceful in your life. I find knitting a great stress reducer.. but, I know that if I'm sick, or really tired.. I can't do the same sort of knitting projects as I can when I'm feeling better.

SO, do like some have suggested.. a simple project.. something that you don't have to think about.. knit for others.. a hat for charity.. w/ yarn that isn't precious???

A dishcloth? SIMPLE.. SIMPLE.. things.. that you can do w/out thinking.
Hope things go better for you.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iwouldratherbeknitting For This Useful Post:
BinkyKat (10-27-2007)
Old 10-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey, $37 is not much to pay for a therapy session. If cutting up the tabgled mess helped you release pent up frustration and anger then it was $37 well spent.
BinkyKat (10-27-2007)