Old 10-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Chanteuse56
Casting On

Need help in understanding instructions
I'm just slightly better than a beginning knitter. I am getting to the final step of a messenger bag. It was done in stockinette stitch, two rectangles with one (the back) being twice as long as the other (the front) to create a flap. There is a long strap/gusset to connect the front to the back and also to make two straps, one being longer than the other, which after felting will be tied together. The strap/gusset was 12 stitches wide in a stockinette. I've finished everything. The bag is complete with front and back connected and 2 straps. However there is one step left before felting. There is supposed to be contrasting trim (B) that runs along the long edges of each strap and along each side of the flap (I have already knit B as my first 2 rows of the flap, then switching to my main color). I am unsure how to attach B to the straps and the flap. Here are the instructions:

From RS, with B, pick up and k 100 sts along side edge of shorter strap. Purl 1 row. Bind off. Repeat for opposite edge. From RS, with B, pick up and k 140 sts along side edge of longer strap. Purl 1 row. Bind off. Repeat for opposite edge. From RS, with B, pick up and k 54 sts along side edge of back flap. Purl 1 row, Bind off. Repeat for opposite edge.

How do I "pick up and knit"? Why is it 100 and 140 and 54 stitches exactly rather than the length of the strap and the flap? The front and back and strap were all knit according to length (14", 28", and 104" respectively), so I don't even know how many stitches are along each side.

According to the picture the trim is supposed to look as if it were knit as part of the original pieces. For each row of the flap, it should be 2 stitches of B then 64 stitches of A then 2 stitches of B. For each row of the straps, it should be 2 stitches of B 12 stitches of A then 2 stitches of B.

I'm really confused and would VERY MUCH appreciate some help from experienced knitters!

Thank you so much!
Chanteuse56 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Pick up and knit is just picking up stitches along the side as if you were knitting them. Hold your knitted piece in your left hand as if it were the left needle, insert the right st into the first stitch of your piece and wrap the yarn around just like you were knitting a stitch. Then do the same in the next, and the next. The reason for the differing number of sts is because a stitch is longer lengthwise than widthwise. The edge you're picking up on should be a side edge, not a top edge, so you pick up in the side of a stitch, or at the edge of a row. You should pick up about 3 sts for every 4 rows, to give you about the same gauge you knit the other piece.

Oh yes, there's a video for picking up sts at the bottom of this page http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Chanteuse56
Casting On

Thank you so much! I will go upstairs and try that right after I look at the video. I tried to find a video on this subject on the site but couldn't locate one.

Your answer made more sense to me than anything else I've seen or read. I really appreciate it. The bag is (so far) looking pretty good so I kind of hated to get stuck right at the end.

Cathy
Chanteuse56 is offline   Reply With Quote