Old 10-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
2poochmama
Ribbing the Cuff

need help with shrug pattern
Hi everyone,
I'm doing my first 'adult' pattern...it's a shrug from the Nov issue of Creative Knitting. I've done up 11 inches of the back and now it is time to shape the back and neck. This is where I am stumped:

K103 and join 2nd ball of yarn. Bind off center 31 sts. Knit to end of row.

Working both sides at once, Bind off at each neck edge [5 sts] twice [4 sts] twice [3 sts] once [2 sts] once. (80 stitches each side)

I've bolded the areas of these instructions I'm confused about: Why join a 2nd ball of yarn and what do I do with the old one? Secondly, how does one work 'both sides at once' ??? HELPPPPPP!!! Thanks in advance!

Carol
2poochmama is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
moreyarnplease
Casting On

I THINK that when you work both sides, it is simply letting you know that is what you are doing, just follow the pattern, and by doing that you are working both sides. And, are you using a substitute yarn? The pattern is probably written for a specific yardage of yarn, and they are assuming you have come to the end of the first skein, and are needing to join the second.

Off the needles:
baby socks...2 pairs
Hunting socks
3 pairs of slipper socks for the kiddos
hand painted baby pants\

Coming soon: sweaters for all boys... but its a secret, shhh

ENN
moreyarnplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You'll be working on both shoulders at the same time, and you need two separate strands of yarn for that. If you don't have a 2nd skein, use the other end of the one you're using.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
D
1st Leg of the Journey

I sure hope this isn't confusing, because I think it could be a little more concise. Here's why you need to join a second ball of yarn:

XXXX__XXXX

Let's say the 103sts are the first 4 X's, and in the center there, is the 31 sts you've bound off, and then the remaining X's represent the sts left (knit to the end of the row).

The second ball of yarn is attached to work on the side you've now made lone, due to the bind off in the center. (You can't bring the yarn across a neckline to knit it, otherwise you'd have yarn going across it).

By working both sides at once you're going across one segment, ignoring the void created by the bound off sts, and then doing the other side. So technically you're not knitting them at the same time (as if it's a continuous row), but in order. If you didn't work them both at the same time, you'd get this:

XXX__XXXX
XXXX__XXXX

I really hope that makes sense!
D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
2poochmama
Ribbing the Cuff

D
Thank you, thank you, thank you so much. The only thing I don't understand is why (on your "x" example at the bottom) there is an x missing on the left.

The other question I have if you don't mind...It says to bind off at the neck edge. Would this be at the beginning of the row or where the other bound off stitches are to make the neckline...this is probably a dumb question but the reason I ask is that I have one skein of yarn ending on the very end of a row and the other at the end of the neckline on the other side....I'm so confused.

Carol
Old 10-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

The neck edge is where the other bound-off neckline stitches are, yeah. You always want to bind off when you're starting from the neckline and going out ... so you'll go from the shoulder in to the neck, and then bind off the first few stitches as you go out to the shoulder, and then go in to the neck, and then bind off the first few stitches as you go out, etc.

You can do this one of two ways: either working both sides pretty much at once -- which means when you hit the neck edge on one side, you'll drop that yarn, pick up the other yarn on the other side (which is waiting for you at the neck edge), bind off on your way out to the shoulder, come back in, drop *that* yarn, pick up the first, repeat -- or finish working the one side and then do the other side. In either case, the side you're not actively working on will have yarn waiting at the neck edge.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
2poochmama
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by isabeau View Post
The neck edge is where the other bound-off neckline stitches are, yeah. You always want to bind off when you're starting from the neckline and going out ... so you'll go from the shoulder in to the neck, and then bind off the first few stitches as you go out to the shoulder, and then go in to the neck, and then bind off the first few stitches as you go out, etc.

You can do this one of two ways: either working both sides pretty much at once -- which means when you hit the neck edge on one side, you'll drop that yarn, pick up the other yarn on the other side (which is waiting for you at the neck edge), bind off on your way out to the shoulder, come back in, drop *that* yarn, pick up the first, repeat -- or finish working the one side and then do the other side. In either case, the side you're not actively working on will have yarn waiting at the neck edge.
When I bind off at the neckline coming from the shoulder how do handle the loop from the last bound stitch? Put it on a stitch holder until I'm done with the other side of the neckline?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can cut it and pull it through if you're not going to do any more work on that shoulder. Or leave it for a bit until you decide it's going to be the right size, then cut.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
2poochmama
Ribbing the Cuff

I figured it out
I cannot believe how stupid I am...I actually wasn't looking at the right side when I was knitting the other side and it looked as though I had the yarn where I joined the 2nd ball on the bottom of the needle but that is where it is supposed to be dahhhhhhhh!!!! What is wrong with me! ??? Thank you all for replying and I'm sorry if I sounded like a total moron!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
kaybee
Casting On

2poochmama -- I'm glad you got your questions answered (aren't these ladies great?). Are you knitting the green shrug with the cable detail? I keep looking at it, wondering if I can do it, so please post pictures when you're done! Good luck with the rest of it!

KB
kaybee is offline   Reply With Quote