Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #1
Jennmarie68
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Jennmarie68
Looking for Lace weight yarn
Ok, I'm making a stole for my MIL. I started it using a worsted weight, and it doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look right, I'm using TLC Macaroon. I can see the lace pattern, but it's just not right. So I'm thinking if I'm going to start it over I need to get on it now so it will be done for gift giving. There are a few problems. First, it has to be something that is washable, as she won't wear it if she can't just throw it in the washer. Second, it needs to be a darker color, she's a natural at spilling food and coffee. Third, I need it to be fairly cheap. The reason I'm knitting gifts this year is that we're on a tight budget. I've found some beatuiful yarns, but they're $50 for the amount I need (800-900 yards.) Then it seems like the ones that fit my price range ($20, hopefully less) are hand wash only.

So I know there are a lot of yarn addicts on here and I'm sure someone can recomend something. I've looked on ebay, I've searched Yarn by the Bag, I did a search on yarndex, I've tried everything I can think of. I have a few LYS, but I'm running into the same price and washing issues I'm having online. So if someone can help, I would appreciate it. Or even better yet, if someone has some that they would be willing to sell, for my price range, I WOULD LOVE YOU FOR IT!!!!

Thank you very much. I'm getting so frustrated, I'm ready to give up and make her a plain old scarf like I am everyone else. But I'm getting sick of knitting with Red Heart Super Saver, my fingers look like I stuffed them into a meat grinder.... I started with kids scarves, and I ALWAYS use something like RHSS for those, cause kids can be horrible. When I took my SO to pick out yarn for some of the other gifts I think he had a heart attack when he saw the prices of some of the yarns. I think his exact quote was "it'd be cheaper to raise some sheep" to which I said, "seriously?" LOL
Sorry this got so long, I'm just at the point of frogging it and I really like the pattern so I want to do it, I just need some other yarn. That, and I'm overly frustrated at this point.

Christmas knitting ARGH!!!!
OTN: Scarf for DBF, Scarf for sister
Projects waiting to be made: table runner for mother
I can't wait to make something for myself again.

I'M IN RAVLERY!!! Jennmarie68
Jennmarie68 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I have the same problem-- I'm allergic to wool, so finding lace weight yarn that I can wear is very difficult! The best stuff is always wool and often expensive. But how about an acrylic baby/fingering weight? It's not true lace weight, but would at least be a lot finer than worsted. The colors are usually very limited to baby pastels, but you mind find something that works. Here is the page for Joann's:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2948
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
Jennmarie68 (10-30-2007)
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, fingering weight usually comes in baby colors, very few dark ones, but sport weight yarn has darker ones. You could also knit the pattern you have with larger needles to give a lacy effect.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Jennmarie68 (10-30-2007)
Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Wahlee
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay, you've actually got one more issue here than what you've listed.

The first thing you need to keep in mind is that when you knit lace, you really want a blockable yarn. Lace just doesn't look right unless you can block it. So you're going to want to find some natural fibers.

If you've never knitted with laceweight before, it can be a very trying experience. I've got a lovely skein of laceweight that I finally had to put away for a while, because it felt like knitting with sewing thread.

If I were you, I'd look for fingering weight. Fingering is light enough that it still makes a lovely lace, but thick enough that if you're used to worsted, it's not too much of a change. My recommendation would be Knitpicks Essential. It's marketed as a sock yarn, but it can be used for other things, too. It's superwash wool and nylon, which means that your mom can throw it in the washer (but not the dryer!), but it can also be blocked. And it comes in darker colors. You'd need 4 balls of it, but at $3.29 a ball, that comes to only $13.16 plus shipping.

I'm Wahlee on Ravelry!

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."
--Henry Tilney, Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
Wahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wahlee For This Useful Post:
Jennmarie68 (10-30-2007)
Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, lace looks better blocked, but it depends on the pattern. You can still get a lacey effect with heavier acrylic yarn - I know because I've done it. Very delicate lace as in the Pi shawl pictures in another thread definitely need to be made with thin yarn and blocked to show the pattern. But it isn't necessary for all patterns. Very simple patterns don't really need to be blocked out, at most just laying flat to dry and stretched out a little will be fine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Jennmarie68 (10-30-2007)
Old 10-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Jennmarie68
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Jennmarie68
Thank you all,
I think I'll go with a fingering weight, I didn't know if I'd get the same results using a fingering weight that I'm getting using a worsted weight. So I will try that.

I love you guys, you're great.

Christmas knitting ARGH!!!!
OTN: Scarf for DBF, Scarf for sister
Projects waiting to be made: table runner for mother
I can't wait to make something for myself again.

I'M IN RAVLERY!!! Jennmarie68
Jennmarie68 is offline   Reply With Quote