Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
cwn
Casting On

Holes and adding new yarn
Hi,

I have some questions:
I am a beginner and I am trying to knit a scarf and I was wondering what am I doing wrong to get holes in it and how do I get rid of the holes without starting all over again? I have thought about getting a yarn needle and sewing up the hole. Would this work?

2nd Question:
How do you join another color yarn? The instructions say to ad to the tail. Make a knot in the tail and cast on with the second yarn?

Thanking you in advance.
cwn
cwn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
knittingnikita
Casting On

Its quite common to get holes when you first start knitting namely from dropping stitches without relising. Try counting the amount of stitches at the end of each row until you manage to stop this. As for joining in new colour check out the video section on this site under tips are some explanations that really helped me. It easier than it sounds. Trust in yourself.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

You may be wrapping your yarn around the needle an extra time called a YO or yarn over. That will leave a hole when you knit that YO in the followin row.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Another thing with holes...when I was just beginning, I did accidental yarnovers a lot because of how I was moving my yarn back and forth. Check to make sure you're not accidentally looping the working yarn over the right needle before starting the next stitch. What happens is you'll knit into that and make an extra stitch and a hole when you do the next row. (It's an actual stitch used to make buttonholes or lace patterns....but it looks bad when you don't mean to do it!!)

I agree that if you count your stitches after each row, you'll catch these things much sooner and be able to fix them. That's how I finally learned to pay better attention and be more consistent.
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote