Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Need pattern help with top of hat.
Hat; http://www.oceanwindknits.ca/sectionpage2.asp?id=45

I'm a fairly new knitter, learning different things as I go along. Right now I'm making this hat and have finished the band.

I've never picked up stitches before. Is there a video someplace that shows how to do that?

pick up sts around edge of band
With WS of band facing, and working around long edge of band, and using circular needles, pickup and purl 154 sts along line of 2 sts in from long edge. Turn (do not seam)

I'm confused : ). Do you think this hat top is worked in a triangle, and then not only seamed up the side when done but also along the top? Or is this worked into a flat disk?

Top (RS is facing)
1.(RS) K1, [sk2p,k13] to last st,k1.
2. P1, [p13,k1] to last st, p1.
3. K1,skp, [k11, s2kp] to last 13 sts, k11, k2tog
pattern continues 6 more rows than there are these instructions;
Continue in established fashion, decreasing 16 sts each RS row until you hve 18 sts remaing. Wk WS row as established.

There are a few more row instruction and then it says to sew seams.

Thanks in advance for all your help. This is truly a wonderful community
MsB is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Yes, there is a video under "knitting tips", about picking up stitches. The one suggestion I would make is that because picking up stitches is often a little hit or miss-- because you're actually picking up rows, not stitches, when you do it, and so getting it to come out evenly is a little confusing-- is that I would mark off quarter sections of the band with pins and then pick up 38 sts in 2 of the sections and 39 in the other 2, which will equal your 154, and you'll get it more evenly (or even divide the band into eighths, if that's even easier).

As for the top-- it seems to be worked into sort of a flat disk, because you are picking up stitches along the entire long edge of the band. So it will look a little funny as you're knitting it because you're working with the entire top all at once. But once you are finished and get it off the needles, then the shape should be more obvious to you. Here's the great thing-- you've done the majority of the work, that is, completed the band, and if the top doesn't work, you can frog it back and start that part again without having done any damage to your band!
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you so much brittyknits. Great advice.

But I have to admit I'm still confused about the top. Is this worked round? I've never done that before. Well actually I did...LOL...about 25 years ago and I don't remember how to do it. Is there a video for this. I guess what confused me was the instruction;

"Continue in established fashion, decreasing 16 sts each RS row until you hve 18 sts remaing. Wk WS row as established."

I didn't know that you turned something when you working it in a disk.

And, what do you mean by "you can frog it back"

Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I know what you mean about the confusion of the disk thing-- it is to be knitted flat, because it never says "join", which is what you have to do in when knitting in the round, and it says to work on both right and wrong sides, again, you're right, something you don't do in the round. That's why I was saying it may look a bit weird until you are through and take it off the needles. I've never knit that pattern before, so I'm just assuming it will come out okay if you follow their directions .

As for frogging-- it means ripping back what you've knitted: rip-it, rip-it, rip-it-- get it? And "tinking" means just to take out a little bit-- it's "k-n-i-t-ing" backwards. Ah, we're such a witty bunch .
Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks again! I'll give it a try.

And I'm GREAT at frogging
Old 10-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Aren't we all?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
One thing to notice when picking up the stitches, you have the WS facing you, so you pick up as if you were purling them. The video shows how to pick up knitwise, so you have to remember to insert your right needle from back to front instead of front to back.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
One thing to notice when picking up the stitches, you have the WS facing you, so you pick up as if you were purling them. The video shows how to pick up knitwise, so you have to remember to insert your right needle from back to front instead of front to back.
Yikes. I read it as either pick up a stitch then purl it or pick up 154 stitches and purl them.

I watched the video but now I'm very confused how I would pick up purlwise, if that is what I am supposed to do.

Do you think I should write the designer again
Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

It never hurts to contact the pattern writer again, but here's what I would do: when you pick up each of the 154 sts, put your needle into the loop on the band as if it were a stitch you were going to purl-- meaning, as if it were a "real" stitch-- and then purl it. It isn't much different from the way you "pick up and knit", except the direction in which you insert the needle. It's a little lousy that it was designed this way-- usually when you pick up stitches you do it on the right side and therefore "knit-wise".
Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks britty I'm going to re-read this in the morning and try it. I love this hat but I've honestly had a number of problems with the pattern :(

Sweet dreams