Old 10-31-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
TheMarginator
Casting On

Socks Soar [book] Question
Wow! I've heard such positive reviews on the book Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles and I'm excited to try it out. But, I need to know one thing before adding it to my Christmas list: What size needles do you need? This info would be much appreciated, thanks!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Needle size always depends on the type of yarn you use. The book teaches a technique so you can really use any yarn you want although it may suggest a yarn size for the tutorial. For your average fingering weight sock yarn you'd use a US 1 or 2 usually. Heavier yarns require larger needles.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

and i prefer us0 for my socks with fingering weight yarn. i just love the look of such a tiny stitch. <3

married my beloved january 9, 2008!!!!! <3
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I just flipped through my copy and the majority of the patterns call for sizes 1, 2 or 3 depending on gauge.

There is one pattern for felted booties that calls for 10.5 or 11s and one pattern that calls for sizes 3 or 4.

Jan is right -- the book teaches how to adjust any sock pattern to be knit on 2 circulars. I'm not really that excited about the patterns included in the book so I just used the part on how to adapt a pattern and am making the Embossed Leaves socks from another book using the 2 circs method outlined in the Socks Soar book.

To me that made the book worth having.

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote