Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Coworkers
I’m just super frustrated about my work situation. I have a coworker that I work very closely with; she has been working in our office for over 5 years while I have just been working here a little over a year. When I first started she gave me all these projects because I didn’t have a lot to do, so she said we would share them. Well I pretty much ended up doing all the work, and I still do while she talks on the phone all day to her friends. Lately though it has really gotten to me because she says that we “share” the work which is completely untrue. People also know her better since she’s been here for a while so if I do something they will thank her, and she never even acknowledges that I helped or did all the work, she just takes the credit for it. This has happened a lot, and I can’t stand it. Its not that I want people to thank me for my work, but it would be fair for her to say “oh, actually Katie was the one who did that, or she helped”. I would always say that she helped me with something on the rare occasion that she does. Also, she only works until 2pm, so when people call complaining that she hasn’t done something I usually get the brunt of it because she’s not here in the afternoon.

Another thing is that she constantly spreads her things out all over my desk when I have constantly asked her not to. I keep my desk very neat, and her’s looks like a tornado hit it, so she puts overspill onto my desk. She tells me it used to be her “work space” before I came so she’s just used it but I tell her it’s my desk now, and I really don’t want your files all over it. I know it’s kind of petty but I don’t want her crap all over my desk, why should she feel she has the right to do this?

It all bothers me because she hardly does any work and literally spends hours a day on the phone, but no one seems to care because she’s been here so long. I’ve tried talking to her and telling her about this but when I brought up the taking credit for my work thing she made fun of me, and now every time she does something she says “oh, should I send out a memo that you helped me on this?” which I think is completely inappropriate. Or when I’ve talked about it she thinks I’m joking and laughs at me because I’m a little 23 year old and she’s wise beyond her years at 54. I guess I just don’t know what to do anymore because I feel completely disrespected. I know she’s older than me but we are equals here at work regardless of age. I feel like I want to leave my job because of this but I’ve applied to grad school for the spring (part time), which my job is going to pay for, so I can’t give up that opportunity. I’ve said that I might need to talk to my boss, and she said “you would throw me under the bus like that”. I guess I don’t know what to do anymore about this situation.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I would talk to someone... You can't continue to work this way. Can you at least move your desk to another area?

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
Kaydee (11-02-2007)
Old 11-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
ritaw
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,296 Posts
I am so sorry that you feel so frustrated. I would too if i was in your position.
I think you have gone about things the right way and she is still not listening.
I think that you should maybe ask her if she would go and have a coffee with you and maybe bring up the subject while you are outside of work. She may be more inclined to listen when she is outside of the work surroundings.
if she still continues then , make it clear that you will have to tell someone higher as this not fair on you.
She is taking advatage of you and of her employers .
I hope this helps .

Rita
Kaydee (11-02-2007)
Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
letah75
Working the Gusset

Is she a state/fedral employee

I would talk to your boss.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to letah75 For This Useful Post:
Kaydee (11-02-2007)
Old 11-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Well I was just talking to another coworker about this because she could tell I've been upset about something. She let me know that our boss (who is new) talked to her and kind of expressed to her that a lot of the docs we work with have spoken to our boss because they are upset about the coworker who talks on the phone all the time. My old boss who left about a month ago just let anything go, and never spoke to her about this even though she knew about it.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Originally Posted by letah75 View Post
Is she a state/fedral employee
Hey! I resemble that remark. Oh am I on KH again during the workday?

Seriously though, your work situation is really frustrating Kaydee and you've been respectful and appropriate about it. I think it's completely appropriate and within your rights to go to HR or a manager to discuss why the work environment is not ideal. It's not about throwing her under a bus, it's about doing your job without harrassment. I'd ignore her snide comments about speaking with a boss, of course she's gonna try to guilt you so she doesn't get in trouble. Good luck.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HamaLee For This Useful Post:
Kaydee (11-02-2007)
Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
PurlyGyrl
Working the Gusset

Kaydee- I know what its like to be frustrated by co-workers. I work with another of the take credit, talk all day on the phone people. I'm both management and an EMPLOYEE so I'm kinda stuck.
However, you have done everything correctly --you've tried to handle it yourself and it really is time to go to the boss. You may be surprised to learn that they HAVE noticed that the phone talker isn't doing her work and IS taking credit for your work. Sometimes you just need to let them know that not only is the phone talker's attitude and work habits affecting you and your work, it is affecting the professional reputation of the office.
Good luck and I hope things get better for you.

I'm PurlyGyrl on Ravelry, too!
I just don't know how to do that button thing
My favorite blue eyed guy
PurlyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PurlyGyrl For This Useful Post:
Kaydee (11-02-2007)
Old 11-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Sharly
Turning the Heel

If you feel talking to your boss would do any good, I say throw her under that bus!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharly For This Useful Post:
Kaydee (11-02-2007)
Old 11-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I think you've been more than diplomatic about it and talking to your boss seems like the only solution now. The woman is using you and then making you feel bad when you call her on it. She's a leech. Her comment of throwing her under the bus was an attempt to make you feel guilty because she's starting to be afraid you'll do something about her. Maybe that will be enough to shape her up but not for long. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
It sounds like the new boss might do something or maybe keeping a close eye on her right now... You might try talking to the new boss about it? or seeing if there is a way to keep her stuff on her desk...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
Kaydee (11-02-2007)