Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
can any techies help me? network cards
hi all!

i need a new network card. i have a wireless router set up for my laptop already, and with the prices on ebay being so low for wireless desktop cards and USBs, i was thinking of maybe going that route instead. however, i just don't get it! i've done googling and such and while i consider myself to be pretty technologically savvy, this is beyond me, i'm afraid. i understand that wireless G is 54 mbps (which is megabits per second, if i'm not mistaken) although from my reading, i see it is more reasonable to expect around 22 mbps. the fastest download my ISP offers is 7 mbps (i think? 7 something) and i regularly test somewhere between 5500 and 9500 kbps. if i am correct in 5500 to 9500 kbps translating to 5.5 to 9.5 mbps, that would mean if the wireless card truly does get 22 mbps, i would not lose anything by switching from a PCI fast ethernet card to a wireless? (I could install a PCI wireless too with antenna, that is in the options as well, might do that because less likely for me to break it or pop it out and i have no problem installing one) I know that fast ethernet can go up to 100 mbps, but if 9 mbps is the highest my ISP has to offer, does it matter?

thanks so much!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things, though if you're going to set up your laptop as wireless, at least externally, then one piece of advice I'll give you is to buy the same brand as your router. it does make a bit of difference in the radio signal quality in my experience.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rorshach For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (11-02-2007)
Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
my laptop has an internal card, i have no trouble there, it's the desktop i need a new card for. so you're saying my numbers are right, the conversion wiht kbps and mbps and i shouldn't lose any speed? i guess that's my main concern.

thanks so much!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
sugarfunpouch
Knitting the Flap

Sounds like you have it. I'm very handy with computers, I've even done a few of my own computer games. (I took a summer class on it)
Obama is my candidate for the election!
sugarfunpouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Assuming you are using Windows and not one of the better operating systems, the wireless card you use in your desktop really isn't all that important as long as you use one that meets or exceeds the specs of your router and ISP.

Buy the best card you can afford. If the desktop is close to the router, just use an ethernet card and don't worry about it, but if wireless is a more practical sotultion the higher the specs the better it will serve your needs.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
Although, from personal experience, having a wireless card in a desktop machine isn't all that great. because the wireless card will be right next to the floor and/or wall, the general signal has a problem actually transmitting loud and clear. Though if you have this problem, you might also take a look at getting a high gain antenna as well.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote