Old 11-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

Wish me luck
I am off this morning to do a craft show. Last year, there were about 6 other people selling scarves..... all made from Fun Fur. I have nothing against Fun Fur, it does have it's uses. But, people were totally gaga over the fun fur scarves, and I only sold 3 scarves. After countless hours of work and struggling with decorative stitches and what I thought were unique and very pretty scarves, no one wanted them. I wanted to scream "Fun Fur is pretty, but it sure won't keep you warm when it is 0 below outside!!!!" I thought a lot about making fun fur scarves this year, but decided against it. Still hoping that my cables and eyelet stitches will win over fun fur this year. I set up my table yesterday, and didn't see any other knitted things while I was there, so hopefully I will be the only one or at least one of only a few. There will still be people setting up this morning before the show... I hope none have any Fun Fur!

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
iwfinley
Ribbing the Cuff

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! I have done craft shows with my beadwork and I know how frustating it can be when you feel like someone comes in with something that is not the same quality as yours but for whatever reason, customers flock towards their items. . . . Maybe you should consider trying a few "fun fur" scarves, though, because while they may not be the most practical, sometimes people want a scarf more as an accessory than as a functional item and fun fur is kind of still new and different . . . . . Just a thought!!! I'm sure your scarves are beautiful and I hope you find lots of customers today who appreciate your artistic effort!!!

Planned Works: Baby Blankie for my other son's teacher, who is now expecting as well!

Hat and scarf for my 7 year old son, who is not a Harry Potter fan, so they will probably be in blue, his favorite color!

A "Posh Pooch" Sweater for my four legged baby, Ruby!!!!

A scarlet and grey "Ohio State" throw for my DH for Christmas.

I'm RubySue on Ravelry!!!
iwfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

Thank you! My mother pretty much told me the same thing -- Just because you like something, doesn't mean other people will. You have to make things you think others will like, even if you think it is just plain ugly! I think if it doesn't go well again this year, I will probably break down and do some fun fur for next year. Sometimes my Michaels has it on sale for about $2, so I will wait and watch for some sales on it.

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag

On The Needles:
Old 11-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Maybe the people who were selling fun fur scarves have found that they sell better than attractive and beautiful scarves! I don't really like fun fur either, but maybe you could find some pretty wool with a bit of sparkle in it? Or use fun fur along with another wool so it's just "sprinkled" with fun fur. I can imagine it would be torture for you to work with fun fur if you don't like it.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
iwfinley
Ribbing the Cuff

Sooooo -- let us know how it went -- I was knitting while I was watching the Ohio State Football game today and I thought of you and wondered how your craft show went. . . . Post a reply with an update!!!!

Planned Works: Baby Blankie for my other son's teacher, who is now expecting as well!

Hat and scarf for my 7 year old son, who is not a Harry Potter fan, so they will probably be in blue, his favorite color!

Old 11-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

Well, today was a total waste of my time. I did not sell one single thing. Not even one of my felted bags. However, everyone who passed by had to touch everything and comment on how pretty it was. Then there was the lady who asked why scarves were always so long. Apparently her neck never gets cold and she doesn't like the fact that scarves always seemed to hang below her waistlength coat. So I proceeded to show her some of the shorter ones, but she didn't like them. I wanted to smack her. One woman stated "Oh, these narrower ones you would wear inside, and the wide ones are for outside, right?" I didn't know width had any determination on whether or not a scarf was worn indoors or not. Silly me. One lady asked if she could take a scarf over to another table real quick to see if it matched a knitted purse....however it was just a slightly different shade so she didn't buy it. The thing that really got to me, was one of the other vendors who sells knitted scarves (the Fun Fur Queen from the looks of her display) came over to ask how I made the spiral scarves. I really didn't want to tell her as she is my competition, but I did anyhow. A while later, she had the nerve to bring over another lady (Fun Fur Queen number 2) to show her my spiral scarves and tell her how it was done. I was vindicated however, when I heard her telling the lady the WRONG way.... it was not how I had told her it was done, but she must have misunderstood. HeeHee So while I am sorely disappointed, I am not discouraged and will try again next year.

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag

On The Needles:
Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
iwfinley
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh man, that sounds like absolute torture. . . . When you've invested your time, energy and creative juices to items it really stings to have a day like that. Keep your head up. Fun Fur is a fad and it catches people's eye because it's different. Unfortunately, though, some people see scarves just as a fashion accessory, not a necessity. . . My sister lives in Georgia and to her a scarf is basically a piece of outwear jewelry. I, on the other hand, live about an hour north of Columbus, Ohio, out in flat farm field areas where the winds can whip through here and while I like my hat and scarf to look nice, they HAVE to be functional as well. . . .

Find something to do to help change your mood -- knit, listen to music, watch a movie, take a bath and remember that tomorrow is another day. . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to iwfinley For This Useful Post:
KnitClickChick (11-03-2007)
Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
sorrie to hear that you did not sell your work at the craft fair..it hard to sell stuff... wisconsin is worse they want "quarter for everything...they told as along as they go to a fair is like rummage sale...

today i sell my stuff at a church ...and i made good money ... don't give up ...hope you will do better the next round
Old 11-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Next time double your prices and then put up a 50% off sign.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
iwfinley (11-03-2007), KnitClickChick (11-03-2007)
Old 11-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
Ironlung21
Ribbing the Cuff

Have just looked up fun fur = nasty.
Cheer yourself up with mobius strip knitting - complicated and easy at the same time. Google it and see if you agree. Would knock the proverbial socks off fluffy fur things next year....
Ironlung21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlung21 For This Useful Post: