Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
historienne
Ribbing the Cuff
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: boulder, co
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
pattern help
knitters,

as usual, i find myself confused. i've started over on the right front part of this cardigan:
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/ma...rch_basic.html
this is now my third try at knitting the right front, so i thought i'd best consult someone.

after making 1/2" of ribbing, which by my knitting is four rows, the patter says this:
Buttonhole row: K2, p2tog, yo, work to end. Work even in knitting until piece measures 1", end on RS.
okay, so i know how to knit this row. but, do i keep knitting ribbing until it measures 1"? the next instruction says this:
Next row( WS): Work to last 7 sts, decreasing 7 sts evenly spaced across, then slide 7sts onto holder for frontband.

so would the buttonhold row be row 5 (by my knitting) and the next row row 6? i tried knitting the 1" of ribbing first and then going on to the part about the last 7 sts and ended up with the front band on one end and the button hole at the opposite end, much to my frustration. am i just overthinking this?

thoughts?

best friday knitting to all,
historienne
historienne is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Boogs
Knitting the Flap
 
Boogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 295
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Boogs
Originally Posted by historienne View Post

after making 1/2" of ribbing, which by my knitting is four rows, the patter says this:
Buttonhole row: K2, p2tog, yo, work to end. Work even in knitting until piece measures 1", end on RS.
okay, so i know how to knit this row. but, do i keep knitting ribbing until it measures 1"?
Yes. The instructions say to work even in ribbing until piece measures 1".

Quote:
the next instruction says this:
Next row( WS): Work to last 7 sts, decreasing 7 sts evenly spaced across, then slide 7sts onto holder for frontband.

so would the buttonhold row be row 5 (by my knitting) and the next row row 6?
Rows 1 and 2 make up the ribbing, row 1 being the RS, therefore it would make sense that your buttonhole row would also be on an odd number - whether that would be row 5, 7 or 9, for example, is irrelevant as the number of rows in total are neither here nor there, measurements are more important with this pattern.

Does that help at all?
__________________


I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
historienne
Ribbing the Cuff
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: boulder, co
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
good morning!
yes, that does make some sense, but i'm still a little confused. after making the buttonhole row, do i immediately go on to the instruction that says Next Row, or do i knit ribbing until i have 1" of ribbing and then go on to the instruction that says Next Row?
it seems like this should not be so complicated. maybe some coffee will make it clearer!
best saturday,
historienne
historienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Boogs
Knitting the Flap
 
Boogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 295
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Boogs
Originally Posted by historienne View Post
good morning!
yes, that does make some sense, but i'm still a little confused. after making the buttonhole row, do i immediately go on to the instruction that says Next Row, or do i knit ribbing until i have 1" of ribbing and then go on to the instruction that says Next Row?
OK, so, you rib 'til the button hole row, do the button hole row, rib until your ribbing is 1" from the bottom, (beginning) of your work then you follow the instruction for decreasing and putting the frontband on a holder.

Hope that helps.
__________________


I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.