Old 11-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
boo1
Turning the Heel

Favorite wooden straight needles? Brand and type of wood.
I've only tried bamboo, wondering if I should branch out.

Looking for input!
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

For bamboo, I think Crystal Palace can't be beat.
The new Harmony needles at knitpicks are wonderful-- very, very smooth. They do seem to have had some manufacturing problems, but if you have splintering or other such stuff, they do replace them immediately.
For exotic woods, try www.winterrose.com

I do prefer the coated grey metal needles for many things, but also bone and glass are great once you get used to them-- is there a reason you specifically want to use wooden needles?
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
My faves are the Lantern Moon needles in Rosewood or Coconut Palm. They just look terrific; feel terrific; and make me feel like an expert knitter because they seem so extravagant!

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Wench
Casting On

Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
My faves are the Lantern Moon needles in Rosewood or Coconut Palm. They just look terrific; feel terrific; and make me feel like an expert knitter because they seem so extravagant!
I am definitely with you. I haven't tried the coconut palm, but I love, love, love my Lantern Moon rosewood needles. They are absolutely fantastic.
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
boo1
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by brittyknits View Post
I do prefer the coated grey metal needles for many things, but also bone and glass are great once you get used to them-- is there a reason you specifically want to use wooden needles?
I want to try everything! I have looked at some rosewood needles and they were (if memory serves) rather pricey, just wondering what everyone likes. I'm re-learning to knit so I'm just taking an informal poll.
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
scubasinger
Ribbing the Cuff

I also like Lantern Moon for straight needles. I just have this thing about wood and the naturalness of it as opposed to cold metal or other materials. The look of polished wood is also soothing to me.

I would love Knit Picks to take the Harmony concept/manufacturing process and release a line of high-end wooden interchangeables. I can just imagine a full set of Options in either rosewood or palm wood.
scubasinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
starburst
Knitting the Flap

I got a nice pair from a Daiso store for $1.50. I have no idea what brand because the name was in Japanese haha
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
Jitendra
Ribbing the Cuff

urgh, I hate my wooden needles! I decided to buy a set of six mm dpns a few months ago when I was just starting to knit, but no place sold them except for really expensive yarn stores. I bought them, and they're terrible. The points aren't lacquered well enough, so the edges pull at my knitting, make it difficult to knit, and fray the yarn.
Jitendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #9
MaleKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Brittany used to make beautiful needles when they still used walnut, now they use birch. When they switched from walnut to birch they stopped making their lovely needles. I prefer circular needles for all of my projects (you never lose your needle when you finish a row, you can make big projects, you can use magic loop to make a sock) they are so versitile and i love them, but if I had a set of needles as beautiful as those old brittany walnut needles I would have wanted to use them all the time (or maybe i would have just put them up in my china cabinet to keep forever)

Now they have changed their needle design to this minimalist "art deco" design that is nowhere near as pretty as their old victorian design that they still use for their crochet hooks. Why cant they make those pretty needles again? :(
MaleKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
Slybella
Casting On

I love my needles from Sam in Montana. He hand lathes them from a solid piece of wood. He has wonderfully tapered points with a pointy tip that doesn't hurt your finger. He also has several wood selections. I have quite a few pairs but right now I'd have to say tulipwood and cardinal wood are my faves.
http://www.booksyarnmore.com/
boo1 (11-04-2007), brittyknits (11-05-2007)