Old 11-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

? about small nylon knitting bags that goes on wrist/etc so...
you can walk and knit (or whatever) at the same time.
I'm sure that they are lovely.. wonderful.. and are a delight to own-- however, I think that they are 'a little expensive for me'.. and I'd like to make my own.

I've read the description about them.. and none of the photos that I've seen are clear enough that I can figure something out- so, maybe someone has one or has seen one in person?? (I don't live where I'd be able to go and see one in person) and could tell me something?

I've noticed that a couple of the selling points.. seem to be a loop w/ a snap that you can hook over your wrist or a belt loop/etc.. *Easy enough for me to make w/out any problems..

and the other one says something along the lines of: a special hole or whatever for your knitting (or maybe they mean the strand of yarn) to go though for ease in knitting..

THIS is what I'm picturing.. a bound eyelet or gromit of some sort that you could take the yarn through the hole.. so, that the yarn 'feeds' through this hole?? AND the actual knitting of course is in your hand and on the needles.. and then, when you'd need to extract yourself from your knitting.. you'd just have to 'toss' the knitting (gently, of course! :D) into the bag.. while the knitting yarn is still actually attached through the 'gromit or button hole area?'

OR you'd have to cut the yarn off when you are finished.. because until you do so- your knitting is still attached by having the skein of yarn INSIDE the bag, being threaded through the hole, and you have the actual knitting on the needle.. on the outside of the hole.. (unless you toss it gently inside the ball of course)..

IS THIS THE WAY that this works? Is there a swivel of some sort? What is the way that it works? Any photo that I've seen is tiny.. and that was in a knitting magazine ad....

I can make a simple drawstring bag w/ a snap loop w/out any problems.. but, I'd like to do what I can to make it even better.

Thanks for helping.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
starburst
Knitting the Flap

my friend has one of the goknits bags(I think that's what they're called) and it's basically another strip of nylon with a snap on it that loops over on itself to feed the yarn through
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starburst For This Useful Post:
iwouldratherbeknitting (11-03-2007)
Old 11-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Thanks starburst.. (and I couldn't remember the name 'of the bags' either- and all I could see was a tiny image in a knitting magazine ad)

I would have thought that they'd be a bit more fancy than just another loop- that would easy to create.

I can get the nylon windbreaker type fabric here-- and I'm sure that they use that- so, the yarns don't 'grab' on it? Or leave little fuzzy presents when the yarn rubs on it?

I'm assuming that I'd have to make the loops opposite of each other- I might go to the fabric building and make a proto-type soon. :D

Thanks for helping.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
starburst
Knitting the Flap

no problem. Yeah, it's a fairly simple design--just a cylindrical bag with a drawstring and two snap loops
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

I have a Go Knit pouch (which I totally love and just took to the movies with me an hour ago) and I'd be willing to take a few pics if you want.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:17 AM   #6
Alibooknits
Casting On

Nylon shoe bags?
Hi,
I found a few nylon fabric drawstring bags at a Japanese discount store in my area. They come in different sizes, and I think they might be used as travel shoe bags (although they didn't come in pairs). I got a few sizes, and they're great substitutes for the GoKnit bags. They don't have a yarn-keeping loop, but I just feed the yarn through the opening at the top and draw the strings almost closed. Works fine!
Alibooknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #7
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Thanks everyone..

Sabrina.. if you can take a photo -- of the top and the loops- I'd appreciate it so much. I was going to use snaps -- since, velcro would snag on the yarns.

I'd like to make one in a small size and then bigger for the plane.. I sometimes have to chase the skein of yarn.. when it jumps out of my lap.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

You guys are giving me too many ideas, but being cheap I'm thinking I may try to adapt one of my fanny packs for portable knitting. I have various sizes for hiking and just carrying a wallet and a few odds and ends. I have worn them with the pack in front which I think would work well for carrying knitting. I'll have to think on a good way for the yarn to feed without snagging on zippers.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #9
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

A lot of fanny packs now have grommets already in them for running an iPod earphone cable through. I have made a bunch of wrist bags for crochet/knit and they work fine. If you crochet, any small doily pattern will work--just reinforce the center so it stays open instead of pulling shut tightly, and line it if you like.
Plantgoddess+ (11-04-2007)
Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Here ya go. I was having a bit of trouble with the lighting so if you need better ones let me know and I'll try to take some outside tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pouch2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	44999  
Attached Images:

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote