Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
mom 3
Casting On

Sock Yarn Questions
I'm a somewhat new sock knitter. I want to make a pair of socks using the magic loop method. I've practiced on a pair of fingerless gloves and find this method easier than double pointed needles.

I couldnt' resist and bought one skein of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted Weight yarn. It is 100% superwash wool and 225 yards. Is this enough to make a pair of simple women's socks? Also, I've noticed that much of the sock yarn has some nylon in it. Will 100% wool work as well?

Thank you in advance to all of you experienced socknitters out there!
mom 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
merchgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

silver's sock tutorial is written for worsted weight yarn, and requires between 225 and 350 yards, depending on how long you want the cuffs. the good news is that since she has you making both at once, you could just stop when you run out of yarn, and they'd both be the same height! i'm working on my first pair of socks right now using silver's method, and i've got the end of my one skein as sock a and the center of the ball as sock b. it's probably a little more difficult this way (working from both ends of one skein) to make sure i don't get tangled, but my one skein was 450 yards and $15, so i didn't want to buy two.

i'm certainly not an experienced sock knitter, but i don't see why 100% superwash wool wouldn't work...

good luck!

OTN: swallowtail shawl number 6, "cozy" blanket

merchgirl on ravelry

*i'm just a distracted potter who should be in the pottery studio: www.HeidisPottery.com*
merchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote