Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
katiebug081504
1st Leg of the Journey

Socks
So, I'm in the process of making my 2nd sock; however, it is not the match to the first sock I made. I have been thinking a lot about this sock though. I've had to do a lot of ripping back a few rows, altering the pattern. Basically this sock is just plain frustrating. Anyways, the main thing I want to know...do you actually wear the socks that you knit? Or just make them because their pretty. I just hate to think of wearing holes into all of this work.
-----------------------
-On the Needles:
1. Simply Ginny Socks (1 complete)
2. Classic Wool Socks (1 complete)
3. Stag Bag (on the back...don't want to do the st st)
4. Five Easy Cables Blanket (1 of 8 skeins used)
-On the Hook:
1. Mantilla Lace Doily (I forgot where I am on this)
katiebug081504 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
tootie44
Knitting the Flap

Yes, I do wear the socks I make and both my DH and FIL love when I make them socks too.

I agree, making sure you have two matching socks can be hard.

What I do is knit both socks at the same time on 2 sets of DPNs so I can make sure they match as I go. So I will knit the cuff of one and then the cuff of the other, then both the legs and so on. I can hold the socks up to each other as I go to make sure they match.
frogger of sweaters and other large objects

tootie44 on Ravelry
tootie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tootie44 For This Useful Post:
abit2kish (11-02-2007), katiebug081504 (11-02-2007), lelvsdgs (11-02-2007)
Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by tootie44 View Post
Yes, I do wear the socks I make and both my DH and FIL love when I make them socks too.

I agree, making sure you have two matching socks can be hard.

What I do is knit both socks at the same time on 2 sets of DPNs so I can make sure they match as I go. So I will knit the cuff of one and then the cuff of the other, then both the legs and so on. I can hold the socks up to each other as I go to make sure they match.
That is a brilliant idea! I have seen the books about doing two on two circs but I like this idea even better. I knit sleeves at the same time for just this reason. Thanks for the tip!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
tguzman
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to tguzman Send a message via Yahoo to tguzman
Socks
Yes i do wear my socks as well and my Daughter just loves her 6 pairs .. everytime i finish a pair of socks my daughter wants to take them away and so does my two sisters and my Mother .hee hee I know they are so pretty when you finish them but it's really nice to see them on and know that you've made them and someone else has appreciated them to wear them.

Blog:
http://therese-guzman.blogspot.com/

Raverly:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/tguzman
tguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
threesmom
Turning the Heel

When I finally finish my first almost done pair, I fully intend to wear them! I keep buying sock yarn with the thought of wearing the socks, and have even purchased shoes with this intention .... now if I could only finish a pair

Working on ... Central Park Hoodie, socks!, another baby blanket ...
Recent FOs ...baby blankets, v-neck sweater!, Nakiska headband, socks

I'm justbeth on

threesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by katiebug081504 View Post
Anyways, the main thing I want to know...do you actually wear the socks that you knit? Or just make them because their pretty. I just hate to think of wearing holes into all of this work.
I knit socks to be worn, and worn out eventually. After you have knit more pairs, you will still have favorites, but it will not break your heart to think of a well-loved and well-worn sock with a hole in it. You will love and treasure the people for whom you knit them and who wear them, as they love and treasure you, more than the socks. When the socks are gone, you can and will knit more.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I love to wear my hand knit socks...they are very cozy and comfy... I haven't found the perfect shoe yet cause I like my boots with heels ... but I still show them off with look at these... I haven't had any get holes yet but someone told me they have to get holes sometimes in order for you to be able to wear all your socks

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
I'm definitely wearing MY handknit socks.........I show them more respect than my store-boughts......I mean, I don't run around without shoes, getting the soles really dirty (my housekeeping directly reflects the amount of sock-knitting I get done! ), but I LOVE catching a glimpse of them during the day and knowing that I MADE those lovely socks ! Sometimes I forget, like the other night when a non-knitting friend was over, and we were gabbing, and when I crossed my legs, sitting, she exclaimed "oh, look, you're wearing some of your socks !" I really hadn't done that on purpose, but it was such a nice surprise !
I'm not so crazy about all the hand-washing, and drying I'm going through lately, so I'm really gonna stock up on some SuperWash Wool, and then just make sure they're treated gently in a lingerie bag in the washer and dryer.........but YES...WEAR YOUR SOCKS ! Pretty soon, you'll have made so many that you won't be worried about wearing them out.......like Dustinac says, you'll NEED to wear them out, to have an excuse to knit MORE !

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
...dotty... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
i wear mine too!!! In fact, I took all of my knit socks to work this week to show some coworkers who are expressing an interest in knitting. The funny thing is when they ask me if I'll make them a pair. I politely decline because they are more difficult to knit, and I don't want to take a chance on them not fitting the other person properly.

I always write down how many rounds for each section of the sock so that when I start the second one, I've got it matched nearly exactly. If I'm using self-striping yarn, I'll write down which point I started and will even measure how much I grabbed to cast on with. I like my striped socks to match.

Don't give up on that second sock! You'll be so proud of yourself afterward!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #10
monzogary
Knitting the Flap

I wear mine whenever they are clean lol. I have to make more so I can wear knitted socks more often! I love how they fit and feel on my feet, but I also love to knit them.