Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to jennylozano
Left ovary complex cyst?
Hi there friends.... Last March I went to my annual physical exam that includes a gyn examination, PAP, etc. I have a history of uterine fibroids (leiyomyoma) so I had a complete pelvic/vaginal ultrasound done. Days later I received the results saying that I not only have "scattered uterine fibroids" of different sizes, but also a complex 2.6 x 2.4 x 1.2 cm cyst in my left ovary. That was it. I did not received further instructions from the doctor and I did not make another appointment to discuss the results. OK I know, I do know, I should have made that appointment. I did not. Time passed... I have experienced some pain in my left side sometimes...other times I feel nothing. I was busy with school, etc. Time kept passing. It is November. My younger sister was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Maybe it is time to worry and to get that darn appointment. I have the appointment this Friday.

I would like to know if some of you have been told to have ovarian complex cysts? What happened? Was it malign? Did you get any treatment? Anything to really get worried about? Thanks

FO: country jacket (Lion Brand pattern)
OTN: basic vest (Patons booklet pattern) with Vanna's choice yarn
FO: Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat
WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Tonsilectomy: 28 Dec. 2007
jennylozano is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
newamy
Working the Gusset

Several years ago I had a very large ovarian cyst. It was huge, bigger than yours and I had to go to surgery a week from its discovery. It was actually mucous filled they found when it was removed but on the ultrasound there was one solid spot that concerned the doctor-turned out to be just a little blood clot. I no longer have a L ovary or tube. I was not very symptomatic with it, mainly because I ignored a lot of symptoms.

Then last year I could tell I had another. I went to the doc. Nothing was palpable but I had an US- yuck!! There it was a fluid filled cyst, but it was smaller so the doc decided to watch it. I had an US like every 3 months and it went away after 6 months.

Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a very specific diagnosis with other symptoms besides cysts, so you could just have an isolated cyst. If it hurts you should have it checked, they would start with an US. It's a good way to document what is going on.

Good luck with all this.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
Get up, go to the phone, make appointment with Dr.

...........done?

Ok. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is something I'm familiar with since I've had it for almost 10 years.

There are times when literally, I could feel my ovaries hurting. They become enlarged, they have cysts, etc.

You have to take that ultrasound to a Dr and have some testing done. With me, it took an endocrinologist, an ultrasound and a bunch of bloodwork. Something is causing that cyst and that pain and you better find out what it is.

Although I haven't had that experience yet, I've heard that having a cyst rupture is not exactly a fun thing.

Go to a Dr, get things checked and you'll feel much better, I promise. We'll be here to cheer ya on
Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I had an ovarian cyst years ago, and the day before I was supposed to go in for surgery, I went to the doctor and he could not longer feel it. It went away. Never came back, either.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you, newamy I know, the Polycystic O.S. is much more complex than just an ovarian cyst. My sister has already develop high blood pressure and pre-diabetes and a series of hormonal abnormalities....

The thing is, according to my search in the web, apparently an "ovarian cyst or functional cyst" is not the same as a "complex ovarian cyst", is it?

WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey

Ingrid, that was close!!!

Diana, Yes, I finally made the appointment today. They will see me on Friday. My sister has been through the same thing you have. Her endocrinologist is kind of her primary care provider now.... she has to visit him and her gyn too and coordinate her treatment with them. She is afraid she won't be able to have children and I am so sorry for her becasue she has always wanted to be a mom.
Thanks for the hugs!!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by DianaM View Post
Although I haven't had that experience yet, I've heard that having a cyst rupture is not exactly a fun thing.
A few years ago, I had a cyst on my ovary that ruptured. I had no prior warning...no pain beforehand...no inkling that I had a cyst. The pain came on very suddenly, and my dh rushed me to the ER, where, after an internal ultrasound, they discovered the remains of the ruptured cyst. It was probably one of the most painful things I've ever felt. My gyn told me that most women have cysts every month, but that they usually dissolve on their own. A few, now and then, don't.

Hope everything turns out ok.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
jennylozano (11-05-2007)
Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
i had ovarian cyst for 4 years and eventually did not go away so i had it removed (incision) on the 5th year... now they found fibroid ( i got heavy menses every month... my flow was very rapid like water coming out from the tap alot of clotting too lately there is another cyst on one side of the ovaries..SIGH !
now i had to have ultra sound every six months...sometime i wonder issit best not to have the operation...cos' my body had not been the same as before...recovery time was a torture...

but do keep on eye on them cos' sometime it could turn abnormal..they could tell from the Ultra sound...my GYN alway get her hand on ...she really went into my uterus and feel the cyst and fibroid...it hurts ...
jennylozano (11-05-2007)
Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
debinoz
Turning the Heel

My niece had one rupture while she was pregnant. They couldn't give her any hefty pain meds. She miscarried 2 weeks later. To put a bright side on this, she now has 2 wonderful kiddies (3 and 3 weeks)
jennylozano (11-05-2007)
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Just my story here, I have stage 4 endometriosis. I have cysts like you wouldn't believe. At least 7. 2 of them are Endometrial cysts, which means they will not shrink or disappear on their own. Not even with the help of bcp's. Now the other 5 are your basic ovarian cysts. And the one endometrial one on my left ovary hurts every month when I ovulate. I had surgery for this same problem last May. And it came back in 2 months time. I have accepted that this is the hand I've been dealt and that I will probably never be able to have children.
That makes me very sad, but prior to my surgery I had the worst pain of my life on my left ovary. I had to lay down on my right side to help alleviate the pain and that helped only a little bit. The pain lasted 7 days. I finally went in for an u/s and the u/s tech couldn't believe how big it was, neither could I.
The u/s is no big deal. It shouldn't hurt, it'll be uncomfortable, but it shouldn't hurt, if it does SAY SOMETHING or they won't stop pressing on it. Learn from my stupidity.
They also found a fibroid in there too. I'm just a piece of work! But there was no cancer either.
Good luck and I hope it all turns out alright.
jennylozano (11-05-2007)