Old 11-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to sorantes123
Hi again, Petaluma sounds nice and peaceful. Red Bluff is a rural area too, with farms, orchards, and ranches. Eight miles south is Corning, the olive capital of the world. Most of all the brand names that you buy in the store are all canned at the same factory. So whichever you buy, the cheapest or most expensive, size, store brand or others, etc. are ALL the same olives. My SIL works there so we get lots of oilves, dented cans, etc. So naturally, olives are one of the main crops here. Logging used to be the main industry here, but enveronmental groups, the spotted owl, etal, have put most of the mills and people out of commission and work. I would LOVE to live near somwhere like Chicago to shop, especially for yarn. I use the internet a lot. I use KnitPicks on occasion, but I also use Elann.com and Smileysyarns.com. At Smileys you can find name brand yarns at the lowest price guaranteed in the US. There are different ones all the time as well as some that are there all the time. I tried to put in links to them but it didnt work so you'll have to type them in to get to them. It's nice talking with you!
sorantes123 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi again,
I will go through my patterns and see what I have. For a while there all I was knitting were baby items but thank GOD my daughter has quit having babies! They are now 7, 5, 4, and almost 3. When the oldest was 5, she had all of them under 5...that was an ordeal. At least they are getting older now ..Javier will be 8 on Dec 31, Emilia will be 6 on Nov 26. Esperanza will be 5 on January 7, and Joseluis will be 3 on Nov 15. The last one is almost out of diapers completely. Anyway, I will take a look. These days I am knitting mostly sweaters with hoods and kangaroo pockets in front. Thats what the grands like and always want. I am also making scarves to sell this month to offset the cost of may yarn stash, tee hee. I just can't stop buying yarn. I have enough to sell on ebay probably and should I suppose.
If I find patterns, how would you like me to send them to you? Snail mail, email, etc. Let me know.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
Grandmaknits
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Sharon,

I am just a little north of CA, in Lakeview, OR, but lived in Red Bluff for many years. I know what you are talking about when you mention heat there. When I lived there, I used to plant glads in a front planter. They would bloom at about 6 am, but by 10 am they would be fried from the sun. I didn't have a tree shading the back patio, and the temp coming in the sliding doors would more often than not be 130 degrees. I did enjoy living there though, and still have friends that I visit in Redding.

I have seven grandchildren that I knit for, and am really enjoying working on a baby sweater set for the newest granddaughter right now. I am also working on a mini pancho, and hat to match from Drops, for my gd that lives in Wisconsin. I am hoping I can get it done before Christmas. Sometimes, I feel like I need an extra set of knitting fingers! :D

Have you tried the new Option needles from Knit Picks? I totally love them! I have most of the smaller sizes, and one or two sets of the larger sizes, but most of my knitting seems to be with the smaller size needles, and dk or fingering size yarns. Although I just finished a Drops Bolero, and hat that I knitted in Bamboo, Cotton, and elastic yarn from Crystal Palace, called Bamboozle. That was quite an interesting experience... you just bounce from one stitch to the next. Fun stuff!

Here is a link to some of the things I have finished recently. They are in the "Grandma's Knits" album. OH yes, the Nordic Knit sweater I did for my husband is knitted from Knit Picks yarn. I loved working with it.

http://www.picturetrail.com/treasuredmoments

Fran
Grandmaknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #14
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

Those were adorable baby things and of course, baby too! I have been to Lakeview once about 20 years back. Those white clouds started arriving and we just barely made it out of there before it snowed us in! My girlfriend and I went up there with a couple of guys we knew that lived here in RB. They wanted to visit with a fellow they knew there that had also lived here in RB. Don't remember who we visited. We rode up there with John and Delbert Hulseman, cousins, both dead now though. Wouldn't it be a coincidence if it was your house that we went to!? Probably not tho. All I remember is that it was COLD that day! I love knitting for my grandkids. They appreciate the things that I make. Their mom doesn't treat them well so I always make them washable. I haven't tried those new needles. They sound great. I have three sets of circulars but they start at 3 so I have to use others if I am using smaller yarn. I may have to try them. NIce talking with you Fran. Hope to see the new outfit when its done.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

My name is Lee and I live in Eureka, the real Northern California, about 80 miles from the Oregon border! Glad to see knitters up in the Northern part of California!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #16
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Lee, Yes you are truly in the REAL Northern CAlifornia . I havent been to Eureka in a long time but had a great time fishing from the beach there about 35 years ago or so. We camped at Patricks Point, if I remember correctly. The DHs caught fish late in the evening and we cooked them but were scared to do so! They were a beautiful blue-green inside. While cooking the meat turned white, thank heavens! Apparently they had been eating algae or something like that. But they tasted great. I was brave back in my 20s. I am glad to know also that there are still knitters here. I was beginning to feel that is was becoming a lost art. But I am being assured with KF that it is alive and well. Again its good to hear from another Nor CAl knitter.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #17
Chris.M
Casting On

hi,
Hope I am not too late I was browsing the site and found that you are in Red Bluff. I am also in Red Bluff and was interested in finding other knitters in the area maybe start a knit night??
aloha
Chris
Chris.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #18
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitters in Red Bluff, CA
That would be a lot of fun. I only know one other person who knits here in Red Bluff. She teaches knitting on occasion. I don't know if she would be interested but it is a possibility. Send me a PM and maybe we can get together. Also, Kathy in Paynes Creek was also looking for a group. She is on Ravelry. I am "knitting4angels" on Ravelry. I don't know is she is on this site. Maybe we can get a group started. I don't have a large enough home to do it here but who knows what might happen. It's nice to know there are others here in RB who still actually knit. (or crochet for that matter).
Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #19
Chris.M
Casting On

hello south end of Red Bluff
Hi ,
I am in red bluff hope to hear from you perhaps we could meet up at the coffee shop or mcdonalds.
aloha
chris
Chris.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #20
sorantes123
Ribbing the Cuff

South end of RB
Hi Chris, I am taking my DH to the doctor today. He is off work with a work comp injury so I can't do anything today plus we're cleaning up the limbs down in our yard from the 67 MPH winds. Hope you didn't get any damage where you're at. We are in the Antelope area very close to center of town. Give me a call 9-1357 tonight or tomorrow. Sharon