Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
hob
Knitting the Flap

knitter trying to learn pls help!
i can knit but now its time to try crochet! i have no idea about it at all i know u need yarn and a hook check check now what? has any one got any crochet videos? how to websites can some one tell me what the basic st is like the knit and purl? i hope irs not as hard as it looks.
hob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hob For This Useful Post:
LuLandymore (11-09-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Newfygirl
Knitting the Flap

crochetpatterncentral.com is the best place I have found. They have videos of how to make the different stitches. I am trying to get back into crocheting after a 30 year absence and I have found that site very helpful.
Good luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

So glad you are trying crochet! It takes a while to acclimate to using one hook, but use the videos and practice the basic stitches for a while, then make some simple hotpads or scarves. You'll love it. Here are some video sites I've used and enjoyed:
http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/index.htm
http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html
http://www.hassdesign.com/StitchLegend/

You can also get a lot of help from a forum similar to KH:
http://crochetville.org/forum/
PamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm an old-hand at crochet...been doing it since I was 5yo (thanks to a crafty mother). Could probably do it in my sleep. The chain stitch is the equivalent of casting on in knitting...that is, it is the foundation. The simplest stitches are the single crochet and the double crochet. The basics... stitches are formed based on the number of loops you make with the yarn/thread (that is, the number of time you wrap the yarn around the hook).

To start making your foundation chain, knot a loop around your hook, wrap the yarn around the hook and pull it through that loop. Voila, you've just made your first chain stitch. After you have made the required number of chain stitches, you're going to reverse directions and use the chain stitches as your foundation. In other word, insert your hook through the second chain stitch from the hook, yarn over the hook, and pull the yarn through the chain stitch. You'll now have two loops on the hook. Yarn over again and pull through both loops. You've just completed your first single crochet. Notice that you did a yarn over once after you inserted your hook through the chain stitch and pulling it through, thus creating one "additional" loop on your hook...hence a "single" crochet stitch.

To make a "double" crochet stitch, you'll yarn over twice after inserting the hook through your foundation stitch and pulling the yarn back through your foundation stitch. That will result in three loops being on the hook. You'll then yarn over and pull through two of the three loops on the hook resulting in two loops on the hook. Yarn over again and pull through the remaining two loops on the hook. You'll end up with one loop on the hook. Double crochet completed!

One thing to keep in mind that seems to confuse new crocheters...you always have at least one loop on your hook. This is how you carry your yarn forward. It's similar to how you have multiple loops on a knitting needle.

Don't be intimidated by crocheting. I can tell you from experience that knitting is a lot more difficult to learn and to do...at least if was for me (thought I'd never get the hang of using two needles along with managing the yarn instead of having just the one hook and the yarn!)

Unfortunately, I don't know of any websites that have videos for crochet that are as good as KnittingHelp's vids. But you can PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!
yarnrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
hob
Knitting the Flap

i can do a co chain... thats it. but hay its a start what do u think should be my 1st thing? i was thinking blanket any ideas? am i thinking to big?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:35 AM   #6
EssenceRose
Knitting the Flap

personally, I would say that aiming for a blanket is rather ambitious. It can be done, but it might be best to start smaller. Much smaller.

I started with swatches. Practice practice practice those stitches until you've got them mastered. Then move on to something easy... such as a flower or motif of some sort. Once you think you have the hang of how to make the stitches, then try something such as a scarf or a hat. Baby steps. Good luck.

On the hook! - Fan Bookmark Scarf , Friendship Doily, Fan Bookmark

Rantings of a Crazed Woman!

EssenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
LuLandymore
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to LuLandymore
Just wanted to say thanks or this thread, I too am just toying with the idea of playing with my crochet hooks, but was unable to find any videos too.

So a big thanks.

Lu

Married, UK mum of 2, 1 toddler and 1 fresh out of the oven!
LuLandymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Welcome to the dark side :D
No, seriously, I don't know why more people don't do both. They work well together, even on the same project. A couple of things to try:

in-line hooks (not everyone likes them, but those of us who do LOVE them)--Susan Bates or Red Heart Crystalites are cheapest when you just want to try one.

chainless foundations--take a few minutes to figure out the first time, but nice after that even as a knitting cast on!

When you're just messing around at first, try making a plain granny square. If you don't like it, you can frog it, and if you do, you can make a few more and see what you end up with. Tell yourself in emphatic terms that you're Just Playing. There's nothing more daunting to any beginner than three feet of afghan two inches wide with another 58 to go!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
hob
Knitting the Flap

ok i think a granny square sounds fab but i cant figger out how to do them just yet im hopeing ill lean when im at my moms next week aprently she used to ba able to do it years ago.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
schoen1605
Ribbing the Cuff

Some Self Promotion
A little self promotion:
I'm starting a series on the Bits and Bobs blog (http://bitsandbobstheblog.blogspot.com/) on crocheting. I made the first post this past Tuesday (an intro) and am planning on making the next one this next Tuesday (on the chain stitch). So, you see I'm really starting from the basics. For the Tuesday after that, I'm planning on talking about the single crochet stitch and giving detailed directions for a simple edging.
schoen1605 is offline   Reply With Quote