Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
michmy
Casting On

how to determine the start of a round?
i've searched through the forum but i haven't found an answer. feel free to let me know if there's another thread about this. what should i do if i didn't mark the start of a round and now i don't know where's the start and the end? this is on 4 double pointed needles. thanks in advance!
michmy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Presumably, unless you've been moving stitches around from one needle to the other, the start of the round will be at the beginning of one of the 4 needles you're working with. Look for the cast on tail, find which needle that tail seems to be hanging under, and it is at the beginning of that needle that is the start of your round.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It would be approximately where the tail of your cast on is. Locate the column of stitches above it and follow it up to your needles. Should be close enough.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
michmy
Casting On

i probably should have included more details...i finished knitting one sock top down. then i knitted the second one toe up, and realized i had a lot more yarn left. so i frogged the first sock from the cuff and plan to work my way up again. this is where i'm not sure where the round starts...

but thank you mwedzi and suzeeq for the quick replies!
michmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
redwitch
Working the Gusset

It is most likely at either the left or right side of the sock. See what the pattern tells you - remember when you were knitting the sock, was your start of round at the left between the sole and the (patterned?) instep or what?
If you can't remember, see what the pattern says. If the directions said Round x, knit half the stitches flat, knit the second half of the round in pattern stitch, then the start of the round is on the left side of the foot.

But it doesn't matter too much where you start, it will not make the sock lopsided if you pick a new start of round at random.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote