Old 11-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
JaneDivided
Ribbing the Cuff

Pattern help: Gloves
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help to clarify a pattern for me. I'm an advanced beginner, and while most times reading a pattern I can see what I need to do once I get to that step, this one is perplexing. Here is the part where I'm having trouble.

The pattern can be found here: http://www.freevintageknitting.com/m...s-pattern.html

I've worked rounds 1-6 the first time through, and things are great. However, the pattern calls for me to repeat the pattern (I presume I start back at round one). If I do start back at round one, would I skip the increases on the first round and only do the increases in the third round? It would seem that if I were to do the increases in the first round then I would not be able to have 66 stitches when I'm done. Further, if I were to only increase in the third round, would my first round simply be the same as Round 2?

Thank you so much for any help that you can offer. I was trying to do this yesterday while waiting for my boyfriend's sister to get out of surgery, and perhaps based on my frame of mind I wasn't really looking at things clearly. But I have a long day at the hospital ahead of me again and it would be great to have this as a distraction.

Kelly
JaneDivided is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Once you do the initial increases, the you should only increase for the thumb on the third row.

Continue pat. repeating cable twist every 6th round, increasing 1 st each side of thumb gore every 3rd round 5 times more, having 2 sts more between incs. after each successive inc. round; 30 sts on 2nd needle; 66 sts in round. Work 1 round

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
JaneDivided
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
Once you do the initial increases, the you should only increase for the thumb on the third row.

Continue pat. repeating cable twist every 6th round, increasing 1 st each side of thumb gore every 3rd round 5 times more, having 2 sts more between incs. after each successive inc. round; 30 sts on 2nd needle; 66 sts in round. Work 1 round
OK, thank you for the clarification. I was thinking that was what I would do, but I was thrown off since it wasn't really spelled out what to do in the first round. But I guess I was right that I would simply K4, p1 and repeat 3 times, then knit the remainder.

Again, thank you so much for the clarification.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
JaneDivided
Ribbing the Cuff

OK, I thought I was all set until I got to the increase in the third round. I get that I'm going to have two more stitches between increases. So the first time I did this I knit 6, increased 1 in the next stitch, knit 2, increased one in the next stitch, and continued knitting. When I get to the increase, would I then knit 4, increase in the next stitch, knit 4, then increase again before knitting the remainder of the row? This is my first pair of gloves, and I stupidly picked a dark color, so I'm having difficulty seeing the thumb gusset in the low hospital room light.

My thanks to all who look at these boards, and in particular my post. It is such a help to get clarification on patterns from those who have been there and done them. Thank you again.

Kelly
Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

The extra stitches will be between the increases for the thumb. You'd still k6, inc, but knit 6, inc, and finish the row.

kkkkkk IkkkkI kkk........
kkkkkk IkkkkkkI kkk.........
kkkkkk IkkkkkkkkI kkk.. . . .

Put a marker on your needle before and after the thumb. I'll be easier to keep track of where you should do the increases.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
JaneDivided (11-10-2007)
Old 11-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
JaneDivided
Ribbing the Cuff

Again, Ingrid, thank you. I had a feeling that is what it was. I've always been that person who answers her questions as she's asking them, and in writing out what I thought the pattern was I realized I was most likely right. Just needed the affirmation, you know? Thank you so much!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
JaneDivided
Ribbing the Cuff

OK, it has been awhile since I posted about this, but I also haven't had the time lately to knit as I'd like.

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/m...s-pattern.html

I have the right glove done and it looks great. I started the right glove, and though I messed up to the point of just starting over because I missed a key increase early on and had no idea how to correct, I am at the part of knitting the fingers. And while I'm pleased with the pattern and how it is coming out, as this is my first pair of gloves I've ever knit, having instructions where you have to refer back to the first glove you've knit and read those instructions is mildly frustrating. I'm getting used to it though with one exception:

After slipping 14 stitches to thread for fourth finger, casting on 2 sts, and knitting 4 rounds for those 42 sts, it says to discontinue cable pattern and work first finger. Because I'm now on the left glove do I follow it this same exact way? It seems like I would, only now I'm working with the palm side of the work facing me when I start as opposed to the back cabled side. Is this how I should think of it? I'm sure if I just knit it will make sense, but where this is a gift for someone I'm not feeling bold enough as to just go for it and if I messed it up it would just be mine and I wouldn't care.

Thanks again!
Kelly
Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

That sounds right to me. Everything will be turned 180 degrees, so this time the palm will face you.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
JaneDivided
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow, Ingrid, you're quick! Thank you so much for the help. I know its always hard not seeing what I've actually knit, but it seemed throughout the pattern as if I was knitting 180 degrees turned around so I thought I would just continue in that fashion. Thank you for the help as always!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Libra25
Casting On

additional help
I don't know if it's okay to mooch off someone else's post but the question is similar I have my first time knitting gloves and it's really cold and I'm trying to make some nice warm gloves for everyone and the pattern is so confusing I also got my basic glove pattern from the vintageknitting place and if someone can better explain what this means I'd love it so I can finish instead of having half a glove.

It says "work first stitch, slip next 13 sts to a strand of yarn for thumb and cast on 3 sts for inner side of thumb, then finish round."

I have no idea what that means so if someone can simplify it for me I'm a beginner who thinks I'm advanced.
Libra25 is offline   Reply With Quote