Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Hat & Mitten patterns
Hi! Just wondering if anyone would have a link to a pattern for a winter hat for my 4.5 year old daughter. I really just want the basic style hat with a fold over "brim" for lack of a better word and with a pom pom on top. Ya know, kind of like a typical skiier hat??

I'm also looking for a mitten pattern for the same child and then a 1.5 year old boy.

I'd like these in a pattern that uses circ needles.

Also, what type of yarn should I use? Cotton, acrylic, wool???

Thans for all of your help and possible suggestions!!
mommyto2presidents is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,743 Times in 7,115 Posts
Here's a basic hat pattern that can be used for anyone -
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm

Here's a few more -
http://tiajudy.com/ribcaps.htm
http://www.hjsstudio.com/hat.html

A few mitten patterns -
http://www.woolfestival.com/patterns...ren_mitten.htm
http://www.hjsstudio.com/mittens.html

Here are a bunch of patterns.
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

As for yarn, wool is warmest. Superwash is best for kids since you KNOW they'll need washing often.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
carmenq (11-11-2007), GiddyKnitter (11-14-2007), lelvsdgs (11-11-2007), The.Knitter (11-11-2007)
Old 11-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Hey, me again! Here is the hat pattern I use constantly-- every size and every yarn weight!
http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/...+Covered+1.htm

It's for knitting flat, but here's how you can do it in the round (it's the only way I knit this pattern, so I know it works!)--
1. When you cast on, subtract 1 stitch from the number they give you (so if they say cast on 51, you're only going to cast on 50). This is true for every size and every yarn weight.
2. Join the stitches and go to their directions for ribbing. In their "row 1", where it says K2 P2, repeat to end, and then K1, delete that last stitch, the K1 (you'll see that you won't have that last stitch to work anyway, since you cast on 1 less. That would have been your seam stitch if you were knitting flat). Then ignore their directions for "row 2" and just keep repeating row 1, so that you will knit your knit stitches and purl your purl stitches, since you are knitting in the round. Also, if you like a K1 P1 rib better, do that instead-- you'll still come out right in your numbers.
3. Crown instructions-- knit all the rows, instead of knit 1 row, purl 1 row, since you are knitting in the round. Ignore ending with a purl row.
4. Shape top instructions-- on the odd number rows, you are going to be decreasing in 4 sections of the hat (you divide your stitches into 4 sections. So if you have 80 stitches, you will decrease in each set of 20 stitches). It then tells you to finish those rows with K1. Ignore that last K stitch--again, that's your seam stitch you've left off since you are working in the round. Then on the even numbered rows, they tell you to purl-- just knit them, since you are in the round.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (11-11-2007)
Old 11-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Here's a basic hat pattern that can be used for anyone -
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm

Here's a few more -
http://tiajudy.com/ribcaps.htm
http://www.hjsstudio.com/hat.html

A few mitten patterns -
http://www.woolfestival.com/patterns...ren_mitten.htm
http://www.hjsstudio.com/mittens.html

Here are a bunch of patterns.
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

As for yarn, wool is warmest. Superwash is best for kids since you KNOW they'll need washing often.
Those are all GREAT patterns. Thanks!!

BTW, where do I find reasonably priced superwash?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by brittyknits View Post
Hey, me again! Here is the hat pattern I use constantly-- every size and every yarn weight!

It's for knitting flat, but here's how you can do it in the round (it's the only way I knit this pattern, so I know it works!)--
1. When you cast on, subtract 1 stitch from the number they give you (so if they say cast on 51, you're only going to cast on 50). This is true for every size and every yarn weight.
2. Join the stitches and go to their directions for ribbing. In their "row 1", where it says K2 P2, repeat to end, and then K1, delete that last stitch, the K1 (you'll see that you won't have that last stitch to work anyway, since you cast on 1 less. That would have been your seam stitch if you were knitting flat). Then ignore their directions for "row 2" and just keep repeating row 1, so that you will knit your knit stitches and purl your purl stitches, since you are knitting in the round. Also, if you like a K1 P1 rib better, do that instead-- you'll still come out right in your numbers.
3. Crown instructions-- knit all the rows, instead of knit 1 row, purl 1 row, since you are knitting in the round. Ignore ending with a purl row.
4. Shape top instructions-- on the odd number rows, you are going to be decreasing in 4 sections of the hat (you divide your stitches into 4 sections. So if you have 80 stitches, you will decrease in each set of 20 stitches). It then tells you to finish those rows with K1. Ignore that last K stitch--again, that's your seam stitch you've left off since you are working in the round. Then on the even numbered rows, they tell you to purl-- just knit them, since you are in the round.
Love that one too! Now I have to find the yarn. I have purewool and peacfleece which are washable with wool wash, but not machine washable...

I'm sure I'll be back with some questions when I start!!

Thanks (AGAIN)!!
Old 11-11-2007, 03:02 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,743 Times in 7,115 Posts
Originally Posted by mommyto2presidents View Post
Those are all GREAT patterns. Thanks!!

BTW, where do I find reasonably priced superwash?
I'm not sure what your price ranges are and it depends on if you want 100% wool or a blend. Knitpicks Swish is superwash, but there are also kinds like Plymouth Encore which is 25% wool I think..they have a bunch of colors, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Am I having to do this on DPN's? I noticed on the pants that when I moved from needle to needle and when I purled on the DPN's, I had a lot of space and my stitches were much looser in those areas than they were elsewhere.

If I can at least start on a circ needle, how do I determine what size cable I should be using? Also, when you say that I would be dividing my stitches into 4 sections, does that mean that I'd be using all 5 of my DPN's for the crown shaping?

Lastly, have you made the pom pom too or just the hat? My daughter, of course, wants the pom pom. Go figure!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

If you're going to use a circular, I would use the shortest cable possible, like 16" or something like that. I've made dozens of these for adults and used a 20" circular with no problem. Although come to think of it, I do have to switch to the dpns by the time I get past the first couple of decreases. Were the purl stitches the only ones that gave you problems on the pants? Because the only place you'll need to purl on the hat is in the ribbing-- because you're in the round, the rest of it is all knit. Hmmm, I'm wondering why your purling is very loose with dpns, because it's so much like using a circular, except you keep changing needles. Are the of the same material as your circulars? And when you get to the decreases and divide the work into quarters-- great question! I didn't word it very well-- you just divide the number by markers, or once you've made a couple, you might even be able to get away with just visually keeping track. You don't have to use 4 needles to divide them onto, but there would be nothing wrong with it, and if it helps you keep track of your quarter sections, then go for it.
As for the pom-pom-- I've made them, but not for this hat, specifically. I didn't even check!-- do they include directions for the pom-pom in that pattern? If not, you can find one on line pretty easily. They make these plastic disks things for making pom-poms, which I've found very helpful. All you would do with the pom-pom, is make sure that you've got 2 tails about a foot long-- one from where you started and the other from where you finish it. Then with a crochet hook, or threading the tail through a needle, at the very top of your hat, pull one of those tails from the outside to the inside. Then go over a couple of stitches and do the same thing with the 2nd tail. Tie them together inside, making a couple knots so that they don't come loose (you KNOW she's going to pull and twirl that pom-pom ) and then cut off the remaing bit tails, leaving about an inch.
And last but not least-- I just posted some info about basic mittens patterns. The one from the vintage site, which is the battered one I still use all the time, has a great pattern called "Classic Mittens and Gloves for the Entire Family", kind of charted out by size the way the hat pattern I recommend is. And you can knit them flat or round, they give directions for both. Now those, if you do them in the round, can only be done by dpns. And if you decided to either that hat or these mittens from these patterns, I've made both loads and loads of times, in all sizes, so I can REALLY be of assistance. And how are the pants?!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Okay, clarification please... at the end of the pattern it says "Rep the last 2 rows unil the row "[k2tog, K1 OR K2, sl 1, K1, ppso] 4 times, K1 has been worked and 13 or 17 sts remain- I know to forget the last K1, but am I repeating what's in the brackets 4 times until the 13 or 17 stitches are left on the needle? What happens to those stitches?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Great question, and easy answer. First of all, because if you make the hat in the round, you subtract one stitch in your cast on, you will also have 1 less stitch at all times. So you will end up with either 12 or 16 stitches, depending on which size you use. I actually do it so I end up with either 12 or 8 stitches. Here's what happens-- when you are doing your decreases, you make 2 decreases in each quarter section. You need to have at least 4 stitches in each quarter section because you need that many to make 2 decreases. So if you end up with 12 stitches, you will have 3 stitches in each quarter section, and so you can't go any further. As for their second number, 16, you still have 4 stitches in each quarter section, and so I like to decrease that one more possible time, which gives me 8 stitches.
Now, what to do with those 12 or 8 (or 16, if you prefer) stitches? Just break off your yarn, leaving about a foot, put it on a large needle (darning/sewing needle, not knitting needle!) and thread it through those remaining stitches and draw it up tightly. Then take that yarn tail, still on that darning needle, and poke it through to the inside of the hat, right at the very top, the center of where you pulled the last stitches tight is the best place, and on the inside, knot it a couple of time to a nearby stitch and cut it off. And you're done!