Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

I guess I'm a bit confused then. Am I still doing the k2tog, k to 2 st before marker.. etc until I get to those final stitches then? And do I really have to know how many stitches will be left or will I know like you said by the fact that I can't go any further? And when you say 12 or 16 depending on which size I use, are you talking about the hat size or needle size? How do you then end up with 12 or 8? I'm a bit lost there...

ETA: Oh, and I meant to ask, when I slip 1 stitch, I'm getting a funny looking stitch at that location. Am I supposed to be slipping purl-wise? I've been slipping knit wise... shouldn't the slip over be hidden INSIDE the hat somewhere?
mommyto2presidents is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #12
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

The hat is made in 3 parts-- the ribbing, which you turn back into a cuff, then the basic crown which is just straight knitting, and then the top shaping, which is what you're talking about.

For this 3rd part, you are doing 2 different rows, alternating them. The first is a decrease row, and the 2nd is just a plain knit row. In the decrease rows, you are dividing your stitches into quarter sections. In each section, you decrease 1 stitch, then knit until you have 2 stitches left, and then decrease another stitch. So in each decrease row, you are losing a total of 8 stitches.

You just keep doing those 2 rows (1 decrease row and 1 plain row) until you can't decrease any further, meaning, when you don't have at least 4 stiches in each quarter section. Yes, you will know when you get there, and "there" will be when you end up with either 2 or 3 stitches in each quarter section. The difference in the number of stitches you finish with is based on how many stitches you originally cast on in the first place, which is based on the size of the hat you chose, NOT the size of the needles.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Okay, as usual, it's probably going to make more sense when I get there.

I realized through trial and error that I should be slipping the s1 stitches purl-wise, correct? I haven't been... I've been slipping them knit-wise, so that there is an obvious error on the OUTSIDE of the hat now :( How can I go back and fix those? I'm on the row AFTER the first plain knit row in the top shaping...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #14
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Well, you could tink back to that point and re-do that row so they all slip purl-wise. (Yes, it sounds like you should be slipping purl-wise. I know it sounds silly that I can't answer that one, but I just "slip" however I instinctively know it needs to be done in each specific situation and so they just come out right.) Or-- does it really look like a mistake, or just to you because you know what should have been there? I'd probably just leave it . Hey-- wow! this means you're close to the end of finishing this hat! That was fast!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #15
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

yep, almost there! I just can't seem to let the mistakes go. I'm having the most problem figuring out what to do with the slipped stitches.. Grr.. I hate that about myself! I want it to be PERFECT!! LOL My only problem is that I'm afraid if I backtrack I'll lose track of the pattern going backwards and then forwards again.. .After all, I am still a newbie!!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #16
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Oh hell, then just keep going and if anyone says, "why does this look funny here?", just roll your eyes and snidely ask how they've managed to miss couture all these years . But really-- if you think you might forget where you were and get lost, then I would leave it. Your daughter is going to be thrilled no matter what. Ooooo-- or attach another pom-pom over that part! .
Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #17
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, I won't tell you what I'm in the process of doing... whistling...

I did want to tell you I finally remembered to post a picture of the finished pants in the other thread!!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #18
mommyto2presidents
1st Leg of the Journey

phew... all fixed! Start fresh in the AM!!

Thanks!! You're rather cathartic! Every time I write to you, it has to make sense coming through, and it helps me learn as I'm trying to explain it to you! Did that make any sense? It's late here and I'm off to bed!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #19
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Well, I won't tell you what I'm in the process of doing... whistling...

You're very naughty. But I completely understand, and probably would have ended up doing the same thing .

phew... all fixed! Start fresh in the AM!!

Wow, that didn't take long-- see, you're becoming a professional!

Thanks!! You're rather cathartic! Every time I write to you, it has to make sense coming through, and it helps me learn as I'm trying to explain it to you! Did that make any sense?

Absolutely-- when you have to explain it someone else, you have to look at what you're doing and sort it out. It makes total sense. Maybe you don't even need my responses-- just ask the questions while I sit back and by the time I read it, you'll have figured it out. The pants are just too adorable-- check out "I think I can, I think I can .