Old 11-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
StefannyJo
Ribbing the Cuff

Another reason I am glad I knit
Like I needed another reason.

I started therapy, AGAIN. I knew I was going to cry even though it was the first visit and only background information would be given. But I brought my knitting and it gave me something to concentrate on and be busy. I didn't cry, I teared up, but didn't cry. I just get so hysterical and I hate to cry. I thanked him for letting me knit. He said he loved watching me knit and that it was pretty cool.

Yay, I love that I found something that is so relaxing and people are intested in! And I have found 1 hour a week that I get to work on this baby blanket for a friend!

Courtesy of daughter!
Courtesy of 2nd daughter!

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness. Albert Einstein

OTN: Baby blanket, baby mittens, discloth, washcloth
StefannyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I hope the therapy helps and that is awesome that the therapist lets you knit while you are talking. How wonderful that knitting helps you focus.
Whenever my father fusses about my mother buying more yarn (she has an extensive stash) she reminds him that this is "her therapy" and he hushes right up. She can't go anywhere without her knitting/crocheting - literally.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

I have a diagnosed panic disorder, and for a while, I had no real focus to use as an outlet to distract me from my anxiety. I tried puzzles, coloring, etc. nothing really "clicked" for me. Until I found knitting. I can sit and knit and just think about the stitches, or I can watch tv and knit and lose myself completely. I am still on medication, but the anxiety part is WAY better because I can let out my busy "anxiety" stuff with my hands instead of worrying it in my head.
Therapists that let you express yourself in your most vulnerable state, ie: talking about stuff you don't usually talk about, are brilliant in my view. You may eventually say more if the therapist makes you feel like you can be yourself in the office.
(can you tell I work in mental health? )
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
StefannyJo
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Mulderknitter View Post
I have a diagnosed panic disorder, and for a while, I had no real focus to use as an outlet to distract me from my anxiety. I tried puzzles, coloring, etc. nothing really "clicked" for me. Until I found knitting.
It took another post to make me realize I hadn't had a panic attack since I started knitting regularly. I still get anxious at new situations, but I know that is something I just have to work through. That is not even what I am going to therapy for! Maybe when I am through working on the other stuff...!

Bless you for working in that field and giving so much help to every people.

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness. Albert Einstein

The Following User Says Thank You to StefannyJo For This Useful Post:
Mulderknitter (11-13-2007)
Old 11-10-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
StefannyJo
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
She can't go anywhere without her knitting/crocheting - literally.
Hubbie doesn't know how much yarn can cost yet! He calls it my art. (He is an artist) I hope one day I can bring it everywhere. I bring it when I know it will be a long wait. It is funny watching everybody stop and stare!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
KatieBeee
Ribbing the Cuff

Therapy Knitting
Quote:
I started therapy, AGAIN. I knew I was going to cry even though it was the first visit and only background information would be given. But I brought my knitting and it gave me something to concentrate on and be busy. I didn't cry, I teared up, but didn't cry. I just get so hysterical and I hate to cry. I thanked him for letting me knit. He said he loved watching me knit and that it was pretty cool.
I have often wondered if my therapist would mind me knitting in session. I thought it would help me let down some of those defense mechanisms or help me process some of what is going on in my head a little easier. You have inspired me, I will bring my knitting to the next session! Thank You!!
Crochet scarf from The Happy Hooker
Shetland and Mohair Scarf for me (I'll never finish)
Just Finished:
Anti christmas stocking for roommate
Hat with Earflaps for Mama for Xmas
Christmas Stocking for Pops
Next on Needles:
UMMM....oh the possibilities

http://katiebeeeknits.blogspot.com
KatieBeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
sarahzknitty
Ribbing the Cuff

Great idea! Glad that it's working for you.
A couple of weeks ago we bought a new car and I spent that dreaded down time in the dealership knitting a pair of socks!
sarahzknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:24 AM   #8
SnarfyCat
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to SnarfyCat
It is really funny that this thread got started because I just found a therapist too who actually _teaches_ her patients how to knit to help them wind down at night. I have trouble sleeping relating to my job et the inability to just be able to shut my mind off. I mentioned that I go to my GMa's house et we knit together et she recommended knitting et listening to quiet music one hour before I go to sleep each day to help with the relaxation. I haven't been really very successful at yet, but hey, it gives me 7 hours a week to knit without feeling guilty!!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
One of my standard comments regarding knitting is that it's cheaper than therapy. It helps me de-stress.

Sounds like a good therapist to me.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote