Old 11-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
LittleGoblin
Casting On

Knitting in the Round and messy loops
What the HECK does that mean? (Knitting in the Round).

I'm VERY VERY beginner. (I just found this site like 3 days ago.) I'm still working on the Casting On and "turning around" part.

I found this link on the Patterns page and I would LOVE to make this scarf! (I'm SUCH a Harry Potter fan, it's rediculous. I have all of the books in hardback AND all of the Books on CD so I can listen to them on roadtrips!)

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting...rd-scarf-1.htm

So far, I'm just practicing casting on and "turning around" to knit the first row. The problem I'm having is when I get to the end of the first row of knitting (after I cast on) the LAST loop is always VERY loose and seems like it's almost like I UNDID a stitch. But I "come in through the front door, around the back, peek through the window, and off jumps jack" like in the video, but when "Jack jumps off" it's really loose.

Any ideas?
LittleGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

The scarf in that pattern is done as a tube -- it's a flat tube, so it's kind of like a normal scarf but with two layers, but it's still a tube rather than two separate scarves.

There are basically two ways of knitting tubes. You can do it flat -- a single-layer long rectangle, really -- and then fold it in half and seam (sew) the edges together. Or, you can do knitting in the round, where you just knit around and around and around to form the tube. (Knitting in the round forms kind of a low-grade spiral.)

If you want to knit in the round, you're going to need circular needles -- I don't know what you have, but I'm assuming you have straight needles (long straight sticks of wood or metal or plastic). Straight needles don't generally work for knitting in the round, because they have a knob or something at the end to keep the stitches from sliding off. (Also, they're straight.)

Circular needles have tips that are several inches long (but nowhere near as long as straight needles), and then a flexible cable wire thing connecting the two. These can be used to knit in the round because both ends are needle-points, so you're basically knitting onto one needle, sliding the stitches across the cable to the other needle, and knitting off of that.

...I'm sure none of that made sense. Heh. Sorry There's a video for knitting in the round, though, which will probably make a lot more sense.

In this case, it doesn't really matter which method you do (knitting flat and seaming, or knitting in the round.) It may be easier for you to knit flat, until you're more comfortable with the knitting process.

The main difference for this pattern is that -- you're doing stockinette stitch, which will come out looking kind of like this:

VVVVVVV
VVVVVVV
VVVVVVV

When you knit flat, stockinette stitch involves knitting one row, then purling the next row, then knitting one row, then purling one row, and so on. (Every other row, you've got the Wrong Side [WS] facing you -- this is the side that will be inside once you sew the scarf up. A purl is the back of a knit stitch, and a knit is the back of a purl stitch, so when you're going backwards across the WS row, you need to purl so that the Right Side [RS], which will be the outside, looks like a knit.) If you knit in the round, stockinette stitch involves knitting every stitch (no purling!). So if you find the knit stitch easier than the purl stitch, you might want to look into knitting in the round.

...and I suspect I'm totally not making sense here, so maybe I'll shush for now

I knit, therefore I am.

Current projects: a hat, one pair of socks, a pair of fingerless gloves, and zero sanity. Future projects: more socks, more gloves (some with fingers, even!), a tea cozy, a penguin scarf, and even less sanity.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isabeau For This Useful Post:
mommie*3 (11-12-2007)
Old 11-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There's another way to make a tube which is perfect for a scarf - double knitting. In this method, you CO your stiches, k1, sl 1 all across the row. On the next row, you do the same which will knit the sts you slipped on the other row, and slip the sts you knit of the previous row. It makes a tube that's closed at both ends, has stockinette on both sides and is very warm.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
mommie*3 (11-12-2007)
Old 11-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
LittleGoblin
Casting On

Okay, just to make sure I understand what you said, (with straight needles?) you Cast On (CO) your stitches (sts), Knit 1 (k1), slip (?) sl 1?

I would like to try that...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
LittleGoblin
Casting On

Originally Posted by isabeau View Post
...and I suspect I'm totally not making sense here, so maybe I'll shush for now
Actually, I had JUST watched the Circular Needle and Double Point Needle videos before I read your reply, so it made PERFECT sense!

Do you think US 6 is too small for a beginner? (I have not even started my first project. Still trying to decide what to make, because I don't want to start something too hard if I can't DO it, you know?) The only other needles I have are US 11. (I DO have some chopsticks that I tried using, and was able to make about 6 rows of knit stitch back and forth... They're probably size US 8 or so because they're between the US 6 and US 11).

I have four sceins/scanes (sp?) of fingering weight (baby) yarn in four different colors: baby pink, blue, yellow and white. I also have a ball of Burgundy Worsted weight and White and Cream.

I really want to make a hat or a scarf but I'm thinking I'm going to start with the basic Potholder (BORING! ) to practice...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
redwitch
Working the Gusset

The stitches you slip are the ones you knitted on the previous row. They are being worked out of order so they are not attached to the other side of the tube (the stitches beside them).
You can also knit in the round with double-pointed needles, there is no reason you can't knit round things with straight needles. The staright needes which don't bend do not produce a fabric which is flat/straight and unbending, the fabric is flexible.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yes, alternate knit sts and slip sts. It's been a while since I did this, but I think you need an even number. There's a tutorial here http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=142 and in this baby blanket pattern http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATThoover.html

Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
redwitch
Working the Gusset

If you have an odd number, your right and wrongside rows will not be the same, and when you get to the end of a row you will need to remember whether to keep alternating or to do the same stitch twice.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Try out the 6s, with the baby yarn they may work out okay. And it's spelled skeins....

Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
You can also knit in the round with double-pointed needles, there is no reason you can't knit round things with straight needles. The staright needes which don't bend do not produce a fabric which is flat/straight and unbending, the fabric is flexible.
Well, straight needles != double-pointed needles. Sort of.

(standard straight knitting needles can't be used for circular because of the block on the non-knittingy end. and you also can't do circular with just two needles, even dpns, because of the straightness -- dpns work because you use four or five at a time. And because they have two points.)

I knit, therefore I am.

Current projects: a hat, one pair of socks, a pair of fingerless gloves, and zero sanity. Future projects: more socks, more gloves (some with fingers, even!), a tea cozy, a penguin scarf, and even less sanity.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote