Old 11-12-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
purplegirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I did continental knitting and combined purling...
... is that why my stuff looks like a mess? I did the continental knitting method on one side, and the combined purling on the other side. Is that why (1) the stitches were really tight and hard to do? And (2) the stitches looked poorly defined? I mean: when I just do garter or stockinette stitches, it looks fine, but when I tried fancy shmancy stuff that my book demonstrated, like moss stitch or chevrons (squiggly-like lines), it came out really badly defined and a general mess. Only when I got back to this splendiferous site, did I realize I was doing two different methods together - is that where my problem lies? Is that the solution to the entire catastrophe? Say yes!

Can I cry? Does this mean I spent a 6 hour train ride sticking myself with needles, getting my forearm muscles sore and producing garbage for no reason? Or can you help me become a fabulous knitter? I want to make a purple blanket for my little girl who is coming in December!

Is there hope for me? I'm so discouraged!
purplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
AidanM
Turning the Heel

It's important when you purl the way that you're describing to carefully observe the way the stitch hangs on the needle. If it looks really open, then you should knit (or purl) through the back. If it looks like a "normal" or closed stitch, then you should knit (or purl) through the front.

This is how I knit, and once you get this distinguishing when to do what business down pat, it's easy.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
deadringer
Ribbing the Cuff

Combined knitting help
Here is a useful site to help you on your way to combined knitting. http://www.grumperina.com/table.pdf
You have to click on the black box to get the conversion table, and you need to have Adobe Acrobat installed. Hope this helps.
deadringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deadringer For This Useful Post:
purplegirl (11-12-2007)
Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you purl combined, you need to knit combined too, which is simply to knit through the back loop to untwist the stitches. In addition to the above site, also look at www.anniedmodesitt.com for how to do decs and increases as well.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
purplegirl (11-12-2007)
Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Might also be you're a new knitter and your tension isn't even throughout the piece, especially when you're working in moss stitch. If you bind off the piece and wash it, then lay it out to dry, you may see a big difference.

I agree with the attention to the way the stitches are mounted; if you go through the wrong way, they twist. Sometimes you'll want to do that for effect, but sometimes it's just a pain in the neck.

Fear not. That purple blanket will be wrapped around your little girl in no time...and you'll be wrapped around her little finger, but that's a good thing!
purplegirl (11-12-2007)
Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
purplegirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you!!! I'm reassured. I'm going to start doing both stitches in the combined style and will report on my progress. Hope this works...
purplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote