Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Would you let your 15yo daughter go to the Columbia for Spring Break?
I just need intelligent feedback, my daughter is SURE I am just being a B!t@#.
Anyone have feedback I can bolster myself with?

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
christine
Ribbing the Cuff

What kind of trip?
Is this a church mission trip or a school trip?
Here is what the state department says:
This Travel Warning updates ongoing security concerns in Colombia and reminds American citizens of those concerns. This supersedes the Travel Warning issued January 18, 2006.
The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the dangers of travel to Colombia. Violence by narcoterrorist groups and other criminals continues to affect all parts of the country, urban and rural.
Violence has continued to decrease markedly in most urban areas, including Bogotá, Medellin, Barranquilla, and Cartagena. The level of violence in Cali, Buenaventura, and the surrounding areas remains high, largely as a result of the illicit drug trade. Many rural areas of Colombia remain extremely dangerous due to the presence of narcoterrorists and Colombian government operations against them.
Terrorist groups such as the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN), and other criminal organizations, continue to kidnap civilians for ransom or as political bargaining chips. No one can be considered immune from kidnapping on the basis of occupation, nationality, or other factors. The FARC have held three American official contractors hostage since February 2003. Although the U.S. government places the highest priority on the safe recovery of kidnapped Americans, it is U.S. policy not to make concessions to or strike deals with kidnappers. Consequently, the U.S. government’s ability to assist kidnapping victims is limited.
U.S. government officials and their families in Colombia are permitted to travel to major cities in the country, but only by air. They are not allowed to use inter- or intra-city bus transportation. They also are not permitted to travel by road outside of urban areas at night. All Americans in Colombia are urged to follow these precautions.
As the Department develops information on potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threats through its Consular Information Program documents, available on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov. U.S. citizens should consult warden messages for Colombia at http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsc093.shtml, as well as the Department of State’s Consular Information Sheet for Colombia and Worldwide Caution Public Announcement at http://travel.state.gov. U.S. travelers can also get up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. or Canada or on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.
christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
NO.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
NO.
I second Ingrid's motion. I have to say absolutely not. People there are being killed. Normal people. People that went there to have a vacation. JUST LIKE YOUR DAUGHTER would be!

Tell her until she is of legal age you have to decide for her. Tell her you have decided that you would rather her be alive and be upset with you, than happy with you and dead! It's that simple.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 AM   #5
Krystal
Turning the Heel

I am only 23 and not a mom yet... someday...

but Unless this was a trip planned with a group, like school, church, youth org, or she would be going with a friend's family whom you know well and trust, and you were fully aware of what areas they were planning to visit... maybe. Depending if I felt she had earned my trust, and was deserving of a nice vacay.

But even still.. I can't imagine any trustworthy group going to Columbia.

I wanted to go to Quebec for new years when I was 15, this was unchaperoned, planned by students, as an excuse to go get drunk underage and what not. It was only 60 bucks. My mom said no, but instead sprung for the school planned 3day trip to NYC, which was MUCH more expensive, because she felt I earned it and didn't kick up any dust over no Quebec.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 AM   #6
dreamsherl
Turning the Heel

NO!!

dreamsherl
dreamsherl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamsherl For This Useful Post:
ecb (11-13-2007)
Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #7
beckyrhae
Turning the Heel

I can say I wouldnt let my 17 year old daughter go without me, so you are not being a bitch.

The Knitting Barista

The Sheeps Tale

KnittingBarista on Ravelry
beckyrhae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beckyrhae For This Useful Post:
ecb (11-13-2007)
Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
Sandi
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Sandi
What kind of a trip is this? Is this just a trip going with a friends family? Where would they actually be?
State dept. not with standing hasn't got a clue.
Unfortunatly the world is not the same place it was when we were 15. I went on many school trip's overseas. With nothing going wrong. But then most of the world was not trying to get those of us that lived in North America, or anywhere else for that matter......
If it's a school trip, well supervised, I would most likely let her go.
A very good friend of my son's was killed in an avalanch on a school trip about 5 years ago. Everyone was up in arms over the fact that these kids had died on this trip. It was well planned, well supervised, and they all had training. And it still happened. If my son had attended the same school, he would have been on that trip to. And may or may not have survived. You can't keep your kids in sight, just because there are dangers in the world.
We can't live our lives, wondering, "What If", if we did, no one would ever leave there houses.
I would find out all the info I could on the trip, involve your daughter in the process, and if it's organized, most likely let her go.
It would most likely be a once in a life time experience for her........
Always a pair of Socks!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
The Columbia...huh? Do you mean Columbia the country? The university? The river?

I'd have to say NO WAY though regardless.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:41 AM   #10
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to yarnfreak
My 15 year old wouldn't get to go, either. Just wouldn't be happening.
ecb (11-13-2007)