Old 11-13-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
florapedia
Casting On

Please help with neckband
So, I thought I had a clue what I was doing with the neckband, but after a few rows, it did not look anything like the picture. My botched attempt created a stockinette stitch and the two sides of the neckband were not connected. I wish I had taken a picture before I ripped it out, but I was so mad. I think it would have been too big of a file anyway.
Here are the instructions. I tried to take a picture of my sweater with markers at different places, but the file is too big. Sorry. I did add a picture of the neckband on the product's picture. I'll try to correspond to the embroidered flowers. It was better with the markers, but oh well.
With RS facing, using circular needle and MC, beginning at lower edge (BO sts) of placket, pick up and knit 10 sts to beg of neck shaping, pm (I picked up sts from the the right bottom edge - near the small on the right side to the top of the placket - near the larger top flower).
THEN pick up and knit 11 sts along right front neck to shoulder (I picked up sts from the top flower to the right end of holder)
THEN knit across 20 sts on holder
THEN pick up and knit 11 sts along left front neck to beg of placket, pm (left end of holder to top large flower)
THEN pick up and knit 10 sts to lower edge (BO sts) of placket (top left flower to the smaller flower)
I had the correct number of sts so I thought I was ok.
The next instructions were WS begin Garter st; work one row even.
I did not get through all of the instructions but the rest were "Row 2:RS: Cont Garter st, * work across st before marker, k1-f/b, slip marker, k1, k1-f/b; repeat from * once, work to end. Row 3: Work even Garter st. Repeat Rows 2 and 3 twice - 7 rows Garter st."
After doing rows 1 and 2-3 once (obviously incorrectly), the sides of the neck were not connected, and it was a stockinette stitch. I did not pick up any sts along the BO edge (Just below and between the smaller flowers). Was I supposed to do so?
What the heck did I do wrong? I am so close to being done.
A huge thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neckband detail.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	45218  
florapedia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
Jints
Turning the Heel

It looks to me like the two sides are not supposed to be connected, The ends at base of lower front placket will be sewn down to the bind off stitches when band is completed. The circular is used to accommodate the curve of the neckline. Use the circular needle like you would straight needles, work back and forth in Garter stitch, Knitting every row,(with the increases where stated), not knit 1 row then purl 1 row.
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:40 AM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
From the looks of the picture you picked the stitches up right. No, you don't pick up stitches across the bottom, the garter is going parallel to the sides. Are there any instructions about sewing the edges right above where the bottom center flower is, to join the two sides? From the way the picture looks it seems that that may (see below) be needed because you are not knitting in the round even though you use circular needles.

The knitting f/b at the marker placements would be what causes the increase to create the roundness at the top inside edge of the neck.

To get garter stitch you need to knit every row. Don't purl any or you will get stockinette.

When I first read though it I thought maybe you were suppose to knit in the round, but from looking at the picture and the direction of the garter stitch that is not what is happening here. When you have completed the 7 rows (back and forth) of garter stitch, you may sew a few stitches right at the center front to join the two sides of the neck trim, but they may not sew it but just let them come together and not sew it. Doing the 7 rows from one front edge to the other is what fills in the space and makes the center edges come together. So when you quit before you had 7 rows you would not have built up enough rows to fill in the gap. If I'm right about this, it seems you would need to catch (sew) the edges of the garter stitch down to the space where you were wondering if you need to pick up stitches there in the front. That straight line right at the bottom of the neck. This would be the last step.

So you pick up stitches along both sides of the "key hole" from the right front back around to the other front, work 7 rows back and forth of knitting every row (garter stitch) and then sew the edges down to the flat line across the center front to finish the whole edge. And maybe add a couple stitches right in the front to join it right in the middle, or not, as desired.

That's what I think. I hope this helps you figure this out. Merigold
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
One way to connect the neckband with the placket would be to pick up a st from the placket and knit it together (like k2tog) with the last or first st at the end of the row. But it may be easier just to knit the neckband and sew the edges to the placket when you're done.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote