Old 11-13-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
RacerGirl
Casting On

helo. new and already wanting to give up
Hello everyone!!

I have wanted to take up knitting for a while now, and decided to start on it very recently. Well, much to my frustration, I cannot seem to do even a single knit stitch. I have tried everything, watched as many tutorials as I could find, and still, nada. I can't help but feel very very dumb. Any pointers or anythign that would make it easier for me? I don't want to do anything fancy at all. I love scarves, and wanted to knit some.
RacerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
boo1
Turning the Heel

I would recommend you trying....
Lessons (try your LYS or local churches that have shawl ministry groups-those ladies will be happy to help you learn! Also check your local craft stores-some of them offer beginner classes)

A Video from www.leisurearts.com called "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting".

Knitting can be challenging at first, but don't give up yet!

Laura
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

I found it really difficult to figure out at first, then I watched the video on this site and that made it clearer. You could try pausing the video or just working it through with the video running so you can copy what amy is doing and see if you can find where you are going wrong. If you can post pictures of what you are doing it might help to be able to see what you are doing.

Admittedly, when I first started and couldn't do a knit stitch I watched the video and figured out that I had been doing it right, it just didn't look quite right because I hadn't practiced it much.

Hang on in there, its so rewarding when you do figure it out!

Good luck!

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
swamp_deb
Casting On

Try looking in the 'Knitters Near You' section to see if you live close enough to find a knit mentor, I know that I would be glad to help if you live close enough. Don't give up, I'm sure that you will love it once you get started.
swamp_deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
GiddyKnitter
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to GiddyKnitter Send a message via Yahoo to GiddyKnitter
It would be easier for you if you had another fellow knitter sat besides you until you get the hang of things...Believe me it isn't hard at all once you know how, please dont give up trying you will regret it in years to come. Good luck xx

OTN's
Socks for ME!!
February Ladies Sweater x 3
Knitted Kitties

Leahfaith on Ravelry
GiddyKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
RacerGirl
Casting On

Originally Posted by rachejm View Post
I found it really difficult to figure out at first, then I watched the video on this site and that made it clearer. You could try pausing the video or just working it through with the video running so you can copy what amy is doing and see if you can find where you are going wrong. If you can post pictures of what you are doing it might help to be able to see what you are doing.

Admittedly, when I first started and couldn't do a knit stitch I watched the video and figured out that I had been doing it right, it just didn't look quite right because I hadn't practiced it much.

Hang on in there, its so rewarding when you do figure it out!

Good luck!

I have watched the videos on here. Paused, in slow motion, and regular. Could not get it for the life of me. It isn't about pratice right now, it is I have no idea even where to put the needle in the right spot. grrr.
RacerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
I found when I started knitting that I need more than videos. I need large, clear pictures of exact needle placement. Here are some very good sites for help with that. You can even print some of them out and have them sitting next to you while you practice.

http://www.knitpicks.com/content/ind...t/how-to-knit/
http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/cgi...yarn&faqKey=84

Both of the above sites have lots of other good pictures and lessons, too.

I would also like to say that regardless of what you've heard it makes no difference whatsoever whether you knit enlish or continental (the knitpicks site shows both). They both work so do what works for you!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I agree with what has been said...I'd check with a local yarn store, joanns, michaels and see if they give classes...the first time I was learning I was very frustrated as well...when you feel that way it's harder to learn...I thought I would wear that Cast on and Knit video out before I got the hang of it... you can do it...just stick with it and don't give up!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Anya4RonPaul
Casting On

Maybe you can look on meetup.com to see if there is a knitting meetup group in your area. By looking at how other people are dpojng it you will be able to figure out what you are doing wrong.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

If you can find somewhere that does classes that sounds like a good idea.

If you can't you could try looking on youtube for some different videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8kF5JBkjSs Here is one I had a link to on my favourites, i don't know if you've seen it or not, it sounds like you've seen lots of the video tutorials but just in case. Maybe the way someone else explains it or does it in the videos will make more sense to you.

Or go to the library and look through the books to see if they might help. I have a book that I borrowed from my Mom that explains casting on and the knit and purl stitches. Since then I bought Stitch 'n Bitch, which also explains those things and has some easy scarf patterns in as well and since you said you are interested in knitting scarves it might be worth a look.

The only other thing I can think of is going to the nearest yarn shop and asking if they could just show you how to do it. The lady who runs the LYS near me was only too happy to help me with one of my scarves. Even if there isn't an organised class I'm sure someone in the shop would be able to help you. Or maybe they have a knitting group that you could go along to.

I must've looked through hundreds of websites trying to figure it out so I understand how frustrating it is.

Sorry I can't be more help.

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote