Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Holly
Knitting the Flap

Circular Knitting & row count
While teaching my boss to knit at lunch today, I picked up my own project - The Lucy Bag -- and realized that at some point my end of row marker fell off the needle . How can I tell where my row began? Does it matter all that much in a felted bag? I don't think I stitched more than 20 or so stitches... What to do?!
Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
You might try counting the rows from the edge or some other point that you can define well and if you have more by one you have one more row. Keep tinking back until you have the same number, or adding one makes the one have more than the other. That said, I don't know that it will matter. Make an educated guess and go from there. That should work unless you have to do something that is smack dab at some special place, then maybe it could matter.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Look where the tail is where you joined, then follow the line of sts up to the needle. If you're off 1 or 2, that's probably close enough. I try not to put down my knitting at the end of a round because of this. Of course, if I decide to just knit a few more on the next round, I always seem to do the whole thing and I'm at the end again!

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Get yourself some point protectors for the needles (they are not expensive and any knitting store has them, even Wally World carries them). They come in sets of two. Put one one each needle point when you stop knitting a row. This saves everything from jumping off the end, be it stitch markers or stitches themselves. Good luck!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
of troy
Turning the Heel

i like to use bits of cotton (i buy 10 packs of DMC pearl cotton..the holiday pack always go on sale post holiday (so in early summer a pack with mostly pastels goes on sale, in january, the red/green/white mix goes on sale)

i make LONG tails (and short loops) and I intentionally get the long tails caught in the knitting.. then if the loop falls off (or if i accidently knit the BOR marker cotton loop into the knitting!) i havea 'tail to follow.. (in this pattern the BOR moved every other row, so tail "moved" too)
see one here:
Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Holly
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the great responses Sadly, the lucy bag starts in a circle and increases out, so following the original cast on tail didn't work, and I was already approx 80 rows up on the bag, so I'm taking my chances that it won't make a difference in the end result if I'm off a few (or 20 !) stitches from my start of round.
I like the idea of the embroidery floss, but I'm not sure I understand exactly how you are using it. Is it your end of round marker loop, and then as you come around to it again do you catch the tail?
Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote