Old 11-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
esterfierro
Casting On

Scarf pattern
Hello, I'm a new user and a beginner knitter. I am working on a scarf pattern and the sides of the scarf are rolling in. How do I keep the sides straight and not fold in?
Thank you
esterfierro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

What pattern are you using? Stockinette stitch (Knit one row, purl the next) always does this. A way to avoid it is to knit a garter stitch (knit every row) border. So you would knit 4- do the pattern and knit 4.
What yarn are you using? If the pattern already has a garter stitch border, and the yarn is an animal fiber, you can block the scarf and get rid of the curling.
Also, check out the "sticky" thread about stockinette rolling for more solutions.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
esterfierro
Casting On

Scarf Pattern
Yes, the pattern calls for Stockinette stitch and the yarn I am using is acrylic/rayon. I did review the sticky thread regarding the stockinette curling. I will definitely try the suggestions regarding bordering. Thank you for your quick reply.
esterfierro is offline   Reply With Quote