Old 11-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
Matdredalia
Ribbing the Cuff

"Old-School" Boye Needles?
I have a little dilemma. I found a pair of needles in some old crafting supplies of a relative who passed on awhile bakc. There was only one pair of needles, which, I'm not complaining about, however....they are completely different from my own in texture.

I own two pairs of size 8 Bowe's -- one long, one short. And these are completely different except in size.

The coloring is different from most pairs of Bowe's I've seen, and the texture is unbelievable.

My yarn slides so beautifully, even when my stitches are just right (not too tight, but tight enough that they don't always slide very easily on my own needles). They basically have what I can only describe as a Matte finish. It's like the metal is not even painted over, but they ARE colored. *scratches head*

I know the needles are probably relatively old as there was a 1959 issue of The Workbasket, a popular needlecraft zine, in the supplies. So, heaven only knows how old they are.

The thing is, I really want more of these. Does anyone know if they still sell needles with this kind of texture?

And if not, does anyone have any needle suggestions?
Matdredalia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
psquidy
Turning the Heel

I wonder if they are really wonderfull because of all the use they've gotten. Maybe after your own needles have 20 years worth of love in them they will feel amazing to your grandchildren? It's a nice thought really.
Good luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I know what you mean-- I have some from older relatives who have passed away. But Boye's current finish is pretty similar-- it's different from any other manufacturer, and has that smooth, but slightly patinaed coating. Here is a link to their full line--
http://www.wrights.com/wrights/produ...e/boyeline.htm
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Jens
1st Leg of the Journey

I got some from a estate sale on ebay and I know what you mean. They are a nicer. I think several years ago people took pride in their products and just wasn't thinking about $$$$
Jen
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I have also inherited my mother's old Boye needles. She never used anything else. I love them and use them often. I also like the old flat end or head on them. Maybe it's just because they remind me of my mom...

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker

Last edited by lelvsdgs : 11-16-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: forgot a word
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
sinistral_needler
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to sinistral_needler
I went to Good Will last night and found some old Boye knitting needles there. Didn't buy them since I already have that size .. but thought that you might like to consider that option!

"Do whatever {Jesus} tells you to." ~ John 2:5
OTN: Nashua simple ribbed scarf, Seeded Cable Cardigan for Mom, washcloths, Rainy Day Scarf
OTH: baby bobble afghan, shells afghan
sinistral_needler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

I'm sorry, I can't help you as far as locating any more like that. I have one pair of the vintage Boye's that I also inherited (or stole ) from my mom MANY years ago. They're 14-inch US Size 9s, a pale pink color. I learned to knit on these needles, and even after decades of use their surface is nearly as smooth as that of my Options!

I rarely ever knit with them anymore -- I'm on the small side, and it's more comfortable for me to knit with circular needles than long straights -- but I can't see myself ever parting with the Boyes. They remind me of the good old days.

Christine
cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
Matdredalia
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by sinistral_needler View Post
I went to Good Will last night and found some old Boye knitting needles there. Didn't buy them since I already have that size .. but thought that you might like to consider that option!
I hadn't even thought of that! That is a brilliant idea, thank you so much!

Thanks for all the feedback folks, I really appreciate it. I'm glad it's not just in my head! XD

I'm going to check out the Salvation Army shop near here, and when I go visit my grandparents in Saint Louis for Christmas, I'm going to ask my Grama if she knows any good thrift shops up there, since it's such a huge area.
Matdredalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:22 AM   #9
starburst
Knitting the Flap

Goodwill is where I bought the majority of my straight needles. I just picked them up as I found them, which has led to quite a few duplicates, but I know what you mean about old needles just feeling better.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote